Soap recipe for dry skin?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all! I think I’ve asked this before, but it still confuses me…if kaolin clay is known to absorb moisture, and is thus used for oily skin, won’t putting it in soap cause it to be drying to skin? I tried it in soap once and after using the soap my skin was super dry and ashy. There was lovely slip, but so drying. Not sure if it was just me…

Hi all! I think I’ve asked this before, but it still confuses me…if kaolin clay is known to absorb moisture, and is thus used for oily skin, won’t putting it in soap cause it to be drying to skin? I tried it in soap once and after using the soap my skin was super dry and ashy. There was lovely slip, but so drying. Not sure if it was just me…

How much do you put in? Did you disperse it first?

I used 1tsp/pop and dispersed in the fragrance oil to a slurry.

I've been using KO at 1 tea PPO for well over two years and I have never had it turn a soap 'ashy' and I have made some dark soaps. How thick is your 'slurry'? How well do your mix it? Do you mix it more than once? Do you add it to your oils and then whiz it or do you add later?

It is possible that you are sensitive to Kaolin Clay...I know that I am to French Green Clay?

I also have to ask what your recipe is because is because unless you are sensitive KO, such a small amount shouldn't have a drying effect.

Back