Soap recipe for “shooters”

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I engage in the shooting sports (am a member of a women’s shooting league). Is there a soap recipe out there that can remove lead residue from skin? The main lead removing soap uses 2-Butoxyethanol which is listed as having acute oral, dermal, inhalation toxicity. I would like to make a soap that is less “toxic.” Any/all suggestion are appreciated!

I make a Mechanic's soap (tested by real mechanics) that is just my Regular Soap recipe with some Pumice Powder. I had tried making a more 'cleansing' bar, but the feedback was that it was just as 'bad' (drying) as using the 'orange stuff', but without the crappy orange chemical smell.

I make a Mechanic's soap (tested by real mechanics) that is just my Regular Soap recipe with some Pumice Powder. I had tried making a more 'cleansing' bar, but the feedback was that it was just as 'bad' (drying) as using the 'orange stuff', but without the crappy orange chemical smell.
Thank you for the info. I will give that idea a shot (no pun intended). ~ ; )

I have a mechanics soap that works well for grease and grime. Orange essential oil, charcoal powder, pumice, colloidal oatmeal, shea butter, palm oil, coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil, sweet almond oil.

I am not sure if lead is as prevalent in blacksmithing as it is in handling guns/rifles, but it seems somewhat possible.

But, please skip to the corrected formula on page 3 of that thread: Borax Hand Soap for Blacksmith or other dirty work (Post #54, in which I show the corrected formula (the orginal formula in the link in a previous post had a transcription error.)

Would Citric Acid or EDTA work as lead removing agents for lead or gun powder residue? These are mentioned in other threads as chelators.

Back