Soap recipe and Aloe Vera Juice?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all!

I want to use Aloe Vera Juice and GM instead of water in my next batch. I know to add the GM at trace but is it okay to dissolve the lye into the aloe vera juice?? Will it scorch it?

Any help is appreciated.

Also, what do you think of this recipe? I have heard not to do more than 10% emollient oils and I have a hard time figuring out which oils that means not to exceed 10% on. Any words of wisdom to help on this?

Here is a shot at a new recipe:
Coconut Oil - 25%
Palm Kernal - 10%
Cocoa Butter - 7%
Olive Oil - 35%
Rice Bran Oil - 15%
Castor Oil - 8%

Hardness - 40
Cleansing - 23
Condition - 54
bubbly - 30
Creamy - 24

Any thoughts?

Soap recipe and Aloe Vera Juice

I don't know about your other questions as I am not experienced enough nor have I tried GM yet...but I have been using Aloe Vera juice for my liquid recently. The lye dissolves well in the juice...looks a little funky instead of the clear look I get from the distilled water and lye but the soap is lovely. I don't color my soaps and they come out a very soft yellow...not cream colored exactly...but a definite light yellow. No funkiness in the finished soap!! I am 900 miles away from my pretty soaps today or I would send pics.

I am the culprit that started everyone using aloe vera juice instead of water. I mix it 50/50 weight aloe vera to lye. I add the GM at emulsification, whisking it in slowly by hand to bring my solution strength down to between 29 to 33% solution. When I mix at a 50% lye solution strength, and add my silk threads, it comes out a slight yellowish-brown colour, just slight though. :wink

Paul

Soapmaker Man said:
I am the culprit that started everyone using aloe vera juice instead of water. I mix it 50/50 weight aloe vera to lye. I add the GM at emulsification, whisking it in slowly by hand to bring my solution strength down to between 29 to 33% solution. When I mix at a 50% lye solution strength, and add my silk threads, it comes out a slight yellowish-brown colour, just slight though. :wink

Paul

forgive me for the 'nooberation' but what does GM stand for??

EDIT: Paul, you say that you mix it 50/50 weight aloe vera to lye...could you elaborate on that a bit for me...let me see if I understand...

lets say I added x amount of lye I would add 1/2x aloe vera??

thank you kindly!

wow...ok now i feel dumb..should have known that!

:oops:

Thanks so much for the clarification!!!

Sincerely, Ian Terry

Back