Soap queen recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmtree

Reaction score
Ok so I have soap queens new book that I have used for inspiration since I started soaping last year. I've only just now thought it was a good idea to put the numbers of one in soapcalc for giggles to see what numbers she soaps. I've not used one of these recipes yet and always just made my own. So the result was a bit bizarre to me. It got a 1 in bubbles, 7 in cleansing, 25 hardness, and 70 conditioning. Is this typical? I checked and rechecked that I plugged the numbers in correctly and they are correct. Seems really soft and no bubbles?

Any chance its mostly olive oil? If you plug 100% OO into soap calc, you will see it has unusual numbers.

the numbers are a starting point. A lot can affect lather including superfat level and additives. If you aren't sure if these are qualiities you would like in a soap, you could try a small batch and see how it turns out.

Any chance its mostly olive oil? If you plug 100% OO into soap calc, you will see it has unusual numbers.

Nope, it's got palm kernel flakes, co, po, canola, sao, and oo. Oops bubbles should have said 7. Anyways, just seemed kinda low on everything that's all. I'm not making any of these but was just curious. I just like to get ideas for swirls and techniques so that's why I have the book.

Soap calc shows a recommended range on the printable page. Those numbers are very low. My favorite recipe has a bubble number of 25. 7 seems very low to me.
Just tweak the percentages until you get the numbers you want.

Bizarre numbers? Funny you should say that, Elmtree. Just the other day, I plugged in the numbers for her Calendula soap, (which is supposed to have good healing properties and be good for sensitive skin) and the numbers came up to be: 7% SF, conditioning=43 (Below recommended values) and cleansing=27!!! (Waaay above recommended values!) I thought, OMG, that sounds more like a paint stripper than a soap!! LOL I doubt any amount of ground calendula petals would be able to make up for that. I never have used any of her recipes.

ETA: The recipe calls for 40% Coconut oil, which is twice as much as I would ever use in a soap and there's not one gram of OO in it, either. It's a pretty soap though!.... and that's about all it has going for it, IMO.

http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-b...ocess-soap/making-sunshine-cold-process-soap/

Last edited:
If you're getting wacky numbers on soap calc, you may have to clear your browsing cache. When you pull up the calc page, in the right top corner, you'll see (in red letters) directions on what to do FIRST to make sure it's updated, then clear your internet browser cache. This has happened to me before and that fixed it. Or the recipe may just be weird :)

Bizarre numbers? Funny you should say that, Elmtree. Just the other day, I plugged in the numbers for her Calendula soap, (which is supposed to have good healing properties and be good for sensitive skin) and the numbers came up to be: 7% SF, conditioning=43 (Below recommended values) and cleansing=27!!! (Waaay above recommended values!) I thought, OMG, that sounds more like a paint stripper than a soap!! LOL I doubt any amount of ground calendula petals would be able to make up for that. I never have used any of her recipes.

ETA: The recipe calls for 40% Coconut oil, which is twice as much as I would ever use in a soap and there's not one gram of OO in it, either. It's a pretty soap though!.... and that's about all it has going for it, IMO.

http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-b...ocess-soap/making-sunshine-cold-process-soap/

Yup I was shocked cause I'm not happy unless I have a bubbles number of 22-25+. I have Considered trying that recipe, I guess based on what you are saying I would definitely adjust it. I haven't made any of her recipes as is, but I've just used them as a guide for things like formulating a slow moving recipe etc. Have you tried any of her other recipes?

The thing I don't like about that book is that she doesn't explain how she formulates the recipes, or what the different oils contribute to a soap. It doesn't teach you how to make soap in general, just how to make those specific examples.

With that said, the swirls and techniques are beautiful!

I've ran a few recipes from different soap supplier websites and some from soaping101 though soapcalc, most seem too drying.

Have you tried any of her other recipes?

Nope. Never have. I have only ever used premade recipes twice for the first 2 soaps I ever made. I prefer to make my own.

EDIT: Oops! That's not true! I have also tried making Genny's Shampoo bar just recently and a no-shred laundry soap recipe posted here on the forum somewhere. I love the laundry soap! The shampoo bar, not so much.

Last edited:
I have actually tried 1 recipe from the Soapcrafting book, the squirty swirls one. While the technique was fun & enjoyable the recipe however dries my hands out really bad. I think I'll stick to my own recipe.

no-shred laundry soap recipe posted here on the forum somewhere. I love the laundry soap!

Any chance you have a link you'd be willing to share? I've been thinking of a laundry soap but hate the idea of having to shred the bars just to use them .. too much work for me!

Any chance you have a link you'd be willing to share? I've been thinking of a laundry soap but hate the idea of having to shred the bars just to use them .. too much work for me!

I think the original post got deleted, BUT luckily I did take a copy of it while it was still up. I think the thread is still around somewhere, but I didn't save the link. I think it maybe was someone named Mike (?) who originally posted it? Anyway! Here are the notes I took:

Quote:

I keep this soap on hand all the time. It takes a few days to set up but it's really easy to make and works well in soft water. People with hard water will want to have it softened with borax or washing soda before adding soap.

1 gallon heavy plastic or glass container with wide mouth
1/2 gallon cold water
2.25 ounces lye
1 lb lard, melted
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup borax (up this to 1 cup if you can't find the washing soda)
Fragrance oil or essential oil of your choice (optional)
Hot water to fill the container

Superfat = 0%.

Add cold water to container. Add lye; stir well (this barely gets warm because lye is so diluted) Add lard, washing soda, borax, fragrance oil. Add hot water to finish filling the container and stir well with a wire whisk.

Whisk 3 times a day or so until set up. Initially, it will start with a glob of soap on top but will set up more each time you whisk it. After three days or so, you will be left with a nice, powdery liquid that you can use in your laundry.

Add 1/2 - 1 cup for a top loading machine. Dissolve in hot water before adding to a very cold wash. Otherwise, just add it while the machine is filling. Use less in a front loader; this one WILL suds if you add too much.

End quote.

I can't remember if this is from the same thread or a derivative of it, but here's the same soap converted to modern measurements and made with CO. (This is the one I make.)

500g Coconut oil
2 Litres cold water
92g NAOH
1/2 cup borax (= 125 mls)
1/2 cup washing soda (= 125 mls)
1.25L hot water
20ml orange 5x eo
5ml lemongrass eo

Superfat = 0%

I used warm water and a stick blender and I added some FO I had that was a good-for-nothing seizer, but it smelled great, so I chucked some of that in as well when the soap was finished. (No probs with that.) When it was all done, I split the batch in two and added some bluing to the one half for washing whites, just until I could see the soap had a very pale blue colour to it. Works brilliantly. :D

I've also saved a link to a video that shows you what it's supposed to look like:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7K9myB9yPk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7K9myB9yPk[/ame]

Some extra notes I have say, that if you have harder water you might get some soapscum and then you can add some more borax or use vinegar in the softener dispenser. (I use vinegar.)

Also, if you can, put the soap directly in with the wash load, so you don't risk gunking up the soap drawer.

I have a HE frontloader and I use maybe ½-1 dl pr load, give or take and I haven't had any problems with sudsing or soapscum or the soap not dissolving. No problems at all.

That's it! :D

Last edited:
I think the original post got deleted, BUT luckily I did take a copy of it while it was still up. I think the thread is still around somewhere, but I didn't save the link. I think it maybe was someone named Mike (?) who originally posted it? Anyway! Here are the notes I took:

Quote:

I keep this soap on hand all the time. It takes a few days to set up but it's really easy to make and works well in soft water. People with hard water will want to have it softened with borax or washing soda before adding soap.

1 gallon heavy plastic or glass container with wide mouth
1/2 gallon cold water
2.25 ounces lye
1 lb lard, melted
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup borax (up this to 1 cup if you can't find the washing soda)
Fragrance oil or essential oil of your choice (optional)
Hot water to fill the container

Superfat = 0%.

Add cold water to container. Add lye; stir well (this barely gets warm because lye is so diluted) Add lard, washing soda, borax, fragrance oil. Add hot water to finish filling the container and stir well with a wire whisk.

Whisk 3 times a day or so until set up. Initially, it will start with a glob of soap on top but will set up more each time you whisk it. After three days or so, you will be left with a nice, powdery liquid that you can use in your laundry.

Add 1/2 - 1 cup for a top loading machine. Dissolve in hot water before adding to a very cold wash. Otherwise, just add it while the machine is filling. Use less in a front loader; this one WILL suds if you add too much.

End quote.

I can't remember if this is from the same thread or a derivative of it, but here's the same soap converted to modern measurements and made with CO. (This is the one I make.)

500g Coconut oil
2 Litres cold water
92g NAOH
1/2 cup borax (= 125 mls)
1/2 cup washing soda (= 125 mls)
1.25L hot water
20ml orange 5x eo
5ml lemongrass eo

Superfat = 0%

I used warm water and a stick blender and I added some FO I had that was a good-for-nothing seizer, but it smelled great, so I chucked some of that in as well when the soap was finished. (No probs with that.) When it was all done, I split the batch in two and added some bluing to the one half for washing whites, just until I could see the soap had a very pale blue colour to it. Works brilliantly. :D

I've also saved a link to a video that shows you what it's supposed to look like:

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]s7K9myB9yPk[/MEDIA]"]

Some extra notes I have say, that if you have harder water you might get some soapscum and then you can add some more borax or use vinegar in the softener dispenser. (I use vinegar.)

Also, if you can, put the soap directly in with the wash load, so you don't risk gunking up the soap drawer.

I have a HE frontloader and I use maybe ½-1 dl pr load, give or take and I haven't had any problems with sudsing or soapscum or the soap not dissolving. No problems at all.

That's it! :D

@Tienne am I safe to presume 1/2 - 1 "dl" per load is 100 ml? A decilitre, isn't a common measurement phrase in North America. In Canada we'd just say 100 ml.

Just a heads up. Tienne is no longer a member and will not see your post since her last post was in 2014.

Just a heads up. Tienne is no longer a member and will not see your post since her last post was in 2014.
@ LSG Well, I guess I shouldn't wait for a reply then ;) Thank you for letting me know. I'll have to pay closer attention to posted dates as well. Thanks again.

Back