Soap preservatives what and when to add

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PerthMobility

Reaction score
I am aware of Germall plus and Sodium Lactate plus as two available preservatives. Are there any others? Also how much per kilo of each should be added and at what stage of the cold process?

Thanks

Sodium lactate is not a preservative, but can be used to harden bar soap.

If you are making bar soap using sodium hydroxide, no preservative is needed.

Is this for bar soap or liquid soap? If liquid, I can move it in to that section for better chance of being picked up

I am thinking CP bar soap, Craig. Am I correct in thinking that saponification sterilises the soap. Obviously where I am confused is that I read of molds forming on some bars which would probably require a fungacide such as copper oxychloride. Perhaps this is not CP that gets attacked by mold?

I am thinking CP bar soap, Craig. Am I correct in thinking that saponification sterilises the soap. Obviously where I am confused is that I read of molds forming on some bars which would probably require a fungacide such as copper oxychloride. Perhaps this is not CP that gets attacked by mold?

My understanding is mold can grow if you have large chunks of fresh fruits or vegetables (or any other botanical) in the batter. So if using them the recommendation is to fully puree them first. Once they're mostly a liquid state, you're good. I've used pureed pumpkin and pureed cucumber with no problems but I make sure there are no chunks at all. Using fresh avocado is very popular too but I haven't tried it. I'd rather eat them. :)

I make soaps with several purees, my favorite being avocado. I use lettuce, spinach, banana, mango, passion fruit, papaya, pumpkin, cucumber, tomato and a few others with no problems. I use either my blender of Bullet to puree it smooth

Sodium and potassium lactate actually are preservatives, They're used for that purpose in packaging meat, but I would guess they're used in high concentrations and might not provide the same benefit in other applications.

Latest posts

Back