Soap Powder Rebatch?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A couple of months ago I attempted to make mini soaps. They turned out chalky and powdery, and I think I know what I did wrong - soaped too cool and didn’t CPOP or get them to gel any other way. It’s a lot of soap to go to waste, so today I was thinking maybe I could try the ciaglia method and rebatch these things. (They do function like regular soap if I put them under water). I put them in the food processor to try to shred them, and they completely turned into powder! I could just use them as a powdered soap (a handful under the water lathered up just fine), but I see that being messy. Any ideas how I could reprocess this? Do you think ciaglia would still work?

Pictures of the soaps before and after grating.

Attachments

• 1A64E0D1-0B81-4456-A9B8-6679B8250AAD.jpeg
    1A64E0D1-0B81-4456-A9B8-6679B8250AAD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 5097E931-78CD-428B-A189-12D50A55FE8F.jpeg
    5097E931-78CD-428B-A189-12D50A55FE8F.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
You can ciaglia with it! My first ciaglia batch was made using 80% CO soaps (with high SF) that I unmolded just a hair too late and the bars crumbled when I cut them. When I ran them over a cheese grater, it basically turned into soap dust.

Thank you both! The batch is in the oven now, CPOPing away.

Side note: The other day when I was trying to look up this method on YT, I couldn’t remember what it was called so I searched for “Caligula” (I knew that wasn’t it but it was something like that)! LOL…..needless to say, the results weren’t about soap. 😂

When I have issues it’s almost always due to a thin emulsion combined with cold soap. With fresh soap made at a normal-ish lye concentration (33%j, I’ve had success with rescue cpop at elevated temperature, but it doesn’t work well for soap made at 40% lye concentration.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing your soap! I recently powdered some of my scrap pieces to try the Ciaglia method and was very pleased with the results.

When I have issues it’s almost always due to a thin emulsion combined with cold soap. With fresh soap made at a normal-ish lye concentration (33%j, I’ve had success with rescue cpop at elevated temperature, but it doesn’t work well for soap made at 40% lye concentration.
That’s exactly what happened: thin emulsion and low temps. I was making mini soaps and some of the designs had a fine pattern, so I was trying to keep the batter from getting too thick, too fast. I’d put them on a heating pad, but it wasn’t enough in this case. I’m now a CPOP convert, at least when my house is 68 degrees! 😀

I ended up doing two ciaglia batches with two different piles of scrap. The green one used the yellow powder.

The base color is actually Caribbean Blue but it mixed with the smaller particles of yellow. You can see some texture in it, though.

The white soap is just a use-up of scraps and trimmings from the last year or so.

Attachments

• B09490BF-D46D-4D9C-AA59-A31B9F6D999C.jpeg
    B09490BF-D46D-4D9C-AA59-A31B9F6D999C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Back