Soap Powder for Goats Milk Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just made a batch of soap using powdered goats milk. All I did was mix the powder with my oils using my SB. As I let the oil cooling down I SB'd it a few more times. I didn't have any problems with over heating. In fact I force gelled it @130°F for 2 hours.

Here's what it looks like after I cut it the next day.
So I probably had mine to hot when I mixed my oils and lye

So I probably had mine to hot when I mixed my oils and lye
I mixed the powder in at 140°F, then I let everything cool down, 80°F for the oil - 75°F for the lye, then I mixed everything, poured, then brought the batch to 130°F for 2 hours, then I let it cool down for 12 hours.

I use the canned, condensed gm. I add water to reconstitute it, then pour into ice trays. When frozen, I put the cubes into a ziplock bag. When ready to use, I just weigh out what I need then add the lye a little at a time. Doesn't overheat and I don't wrap my mold. Been pretty effective this way.

I use the canned, condensed gm. I add water to reconstitute it, then pour into ice trays. When frozen, I put the cubes into a ziplock bag. When ready to use, I just weigh out what I need then add the lye a little at a time. Doesn't overheat and I don't wrap my mold. Been pretty effective this way.
Thank you I do have a fan that I need to use☺️

I always add the powder directly to my oils and stick blend well.
I do the same (stick blend well) except I make my lye solution the night before, refrigerate overnight and add it to the room temp oils straight from the fridge. Cover with 4-ply Mylar and wood top for my wood mold. Do not insulate. Then I put it in the laundry room overnight. Unmold the next day and cut. I use Meyenburg Canned GM Powder.

Is there any difference between fresh and powdered goat milk other than label appeal>

I have only used evaporated, store bought and raw goat milk; the evaporated does produce a slightly darker bar of soap. Since powdered goat milk is just goat milk with the water removed, there really is no difference...you are making a goat milk soap. But for some...”Whole Goat Milk” IS label appeal.

I use raw goat milk simply because I can get it cheap. A 16 oz can of Meyenberg Powered Whole Goat Milk is $14.00 on Amazon and makes a gallon; I pay $8.00 for a gallon of raw goat milk. Powdered GM can be stored on a shelf until it’s opened, Raw GM has to be refrigerated. Powdered GM takes up less room than a gallon of Raw GM. Powdered GM will last for 8 weeks in the frig, Raw GM won’t. A lot less fuss using powered than fresh...simply mix with some of your water and add to your oils or add it day. With Raw GM, you need to freeze and use an ice bath to mix with lye and it takes time so it doesn’t scorch.

I quite like using Raw GM, I quite enjoy the ‘process’ of making soap...just as I enjoy the ‘process’ of knitting, just as I enjoy the ‘process’ of being an accountant.. I find it soothing to my soul to take the time to produce a creamy lye solution which in turn produces a creamy bar of soap. After a week of putting put fires and dealing with deadlines...it’s nice to slow down.

I just made a batch of soap using powdered goats milk. All I did was mix the powder with my oils using my SB. As I let the oil cooling down I SB'd it a few more times. I didn't have any problems with over heating. In fact I force gelled it @130°F for 2 hours.

Here's what it looks like after I cut it the next day.
Todd,
You might like to try heating your oven to 110* only and turning it off as soon as you put the soap in. Then leave it in the oven for 12 hours. The advantage of this method is you don’t have to watch the oven and it works every time!

When you say you brought the batch up to 130 how did you do that?
I used to heating pads. One on top and one on the bottom and then I put towels over it.
Todd,
You might like to try heating your oven to 110* only and turning it off as soon as you put the soap in. Then leave it in the oven for 12 hours. The advantage of this method is you don’t have to watch the oven and it works every time!
The lowest setting on my oven is 175°F and it made the top of my soap ugly.

My heating pad method is easy for me. And I have did it so many times that I know how each of my 3 standard recipes will react. It takes me 1 hour starting from scratch to covering the batch with my heating pads. Then I check them after 2 hours and then on the 3rd hour I am done. So far the results justify the process. When that stops happening, I will go with something else.

As thegecko said, I enjoy the process. It is a ritual for me, a labor of love. Cliches finished lol!

I used to heating pads. One on top and one on the bottom and then I put towels over it.

The lowest setting on my oven is 175°F and it made the top of my soap ugly.

My heating pad method is easy for me. And I have did it so many times that I know how each of my 3 standard recipes will react. It takes me 1 hour starting from scratch to covering the batch with my heating pads. Then I check them after 2 hours and then on the 3rd hour I am done. So far the results justify the process. When that stops happening, I will go with something else.

As thegecko said, I enjoy the process. It is a ritual for me, a labor of love. Cliches finished lol!
Thank you both you’ve been very helpful☺️

Latest posts

Back