Soap Pot Weekend 4/25-27

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Well here we are again :)
Its been kinda quiet here lately.. where is everyone?
Anyhew...

I am making soap and body butter this weekend.

I have so far made:
Lavender/Sweet Orange EO Blend
Aqua Spa FO frm WSP (man that moves fast..whew)

I am looking into making
Sweet Orange & Vanilla Blend (Layered)

The body butter will be a mixture of Mango, Shea, Frac. Coconut Oil
with Warm Vanilla FO

I think that may be it, not sure though.. will think about it overnight..

SO..

whatcha doin?

I'm not making anything. I'm heading on out to the soap conference in Vermont on Sunday night, So I have to use today to do some work at my apartment building, so that I can be away for four days without anyone having a heart attack.

When I get back, hopefully Ill have loads of new ideas and if the UPS gods are good to me, a brand new Tog custom mold!
I'm especially excited to attend the session on creamsoap. I've been so jealous of other people's creamsoap, but every time I try it's a flop...

Not doing much. Got to get caught up with my house work :wink:
Smellit: I love the scent warm vanilla.
MissJules: Wish I was going. Have fun and bring back a lot of info..

Sonja

i'm in the process of making some cream soap to use as shaving cream. have no idea what i'm doing, so we'll see. i've never had luck with it, but atleast I got it to whip--i do think it might need some more water. . . .

there's a craft fair today, so i'll be heading out at some time to see what kind of soapers they have.

and i wish i was going to the conference--it's so close, but the price put it WAY out of my league :shock:

ADKer: the price was way out of my league too, but I figured that since I'm just starting out, this would be the year to do it since I have SOOOOO much to learn, all the seminars will be helpful. Also, it's only a 2.5 hour drive for me. I'm not staying at lodging arranged by the guild though, that was way way way too much. Instead I'm staying in town at a hotel that let me "name my own price" on Priceline so I got a very good deal on lodging in a respectable hotel. I LOVE priceline. I've traveled all over the US taking Whitney to Wrestling tournaments, and I've always gotten deals that made the other wrestling parents jealous. (can you say 50 bucks a night at a Hyatt on Long Island? Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, Thankyou Shatt.)

Missjulesdid said:
ADKer: the price was way out of my league too, but I figured that since I'm just starting out, this would be the year to do it since I have SOOOOO much to learn, all the seminars will be helpful. Also, it's only a 2.5 hour drive for me. I'm not staying at lodging arranged by the guild though, that was way way way too much. Instead I'm staying in town at a hotel that let me "name my own price" on Priceline so I got a very good deal on lodging in a respectable hotel. I LOVE priceline. I've traveled all over the US taking Whitney to Wrestling tournaments, and I've always gotten deals that made the other wrestling parents jealous. (can you say 50 bucks a night at a Hyatt on Long Island? Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, Thankyou Shatt.)

Well, I'm even closer--just a ferryride away. . . maybe an hour total. But the price. . . . I travel to burlington every month or so to shop and get away, but things are tight right now. I was so excited to see they were coming so close--and really bummed about the $$.
I'll have to check Priceline though. . . I'll be driving downstate in a couple weeks, and the only lodging is like $150/night. . . .

I just completely bodged up a batch of cinnamon and mandarin CP. I forgot to add the EO's, so after painstakingly layering 3 colours, and about to swirl, I had to dump it back into the pot, add the EO's and then mix it well, it is kind of slurry coloured now!!! :?

Just did a batch of CP soap for a Swirl Swap. It's an in-the-pot swirl. I have my fingers crossed hoping there's actually a swirl in the log. The top looks good. I did my hemp recipe, so the base color is yellow. I scented it with Indian Sandalwood, then scented the part I kept out for the swirl with Amber, so it turned brown & I added some cocoa powder to make it a tad darker.

If all goes well, I'll have brown swirls in a yellow base. At first, the Amber/cocoa portion didn't smell very good, but the cocoa smell has faded & the Sandalwood & Amber smell nice. If it turns out ok, I'll have to do a second batch.

Last night I tried my first whipped shea butter. Wow! It's loverly. I scented it with Amber, but it stayed nice & white. I whipped it with some sweet almond oil.

I'm going to do some more tomorrow & add cornstarch to cut down on the oilyness. It really is nice to dip my finger into a tin of soft shea butter. A wee bit goes a loooooooooong ways!

Mandolyn.....I love the cornstarch in my shea butter! It allows the moisturizing, but also takes away the greasy feeling. k

mcleodnaturals said:
gallerygirl said:
Mandolyn.....I love the cornstarch in my shea butter! It allows the moisturizing, but also takes away the greasy feeling. k

i've been wanting to try a whipped shea...how much cornstarch do you add and how do you add it in??

thx!

I didn't get to do my whipped shea, I'm almost out of shea butter!! Have to re-order first.

The recipe I have says 2 teaspoons (.3333333 oz) for a recipe with 12 oz of shea butter, 4 oz of other butters & 5 oz oil. I think that computes to about 1.5 % of the total of all butters & oils.

If that % is correct, my math skills have improved vastly since I started making soap & B&B products!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back