Soap pics (opinions wanted!)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alliani

Reaction score
http://picasaweb.google.com/lorialliani

This is my 2nd attempt at CP, but my first "hobby" batch of soap. My *first* batch of CP soap was a medicinal lice treatment that was dumped into a Gladware container which subsequently got mangled upon the removal of said soap. :lol: Talk about UG-LY, but it seems to function well enough.

So far I've learned I have a tendency to mold at heavy trace, I'm going to have to trust that everything's mixed well enough before I get to the pudding stage.

alliani said:
This is my 2nd attempt at CP, but my first "hobby" batch of soap. My *first* batch of CP soap was a medicinal lice treatment that was dumped into a Gladware container which subsequently got mangled upon the removal of said soap. :lol: Talk about UG-LY, but it seems to function well enough.

Is this recipe a trade secret or would you be willing to share? I don't have to deal with lice these days but, oh when my 3 girls were younger we had a hell of a never ending battle with it!. And as much as I hated the whole idea, we ended up resorting to Malathion! It worked and we were very, very careful with it but if there is something that actually works and could possibly be made for a friend in need, it would be nice to have a recipe for a soap to use. Just askin!
LYE EYE :shock:

jadiebugs1 said:
Is this recipe a trade secret or would you be willing to share?

It's just a recipe I found online...

http://www.discover-neem-oil.com/neem-o ... cipes.html

It's the Neem Oil Soap Recipe #2.

It doesn't say it here (there) but throughout my (frantic and itchy) research I learned:

* Do not heat neem over 85 degrees F or it destroys the important components (so no HP or CPOP/CPOM or insulating). I have no idea if this gets above 85 deg. in it's normal saponification - if so, kind of seems like a worthless ingredient... :?
* Neem becomes unstable in water (hence the solid bar recipe).
* This recipe *should* repel not only lice but other biting crawlies as well including fleas, mosquitoes, some ticks (not all) and chiggers.
* The neem doesn't *kill* the lice, it screws up their neurological system causing them to "forget" to breed, lay eggs and/or eat. So though it's not a quick fix, it's a long-term one.
* The tea tree (and rosemary?) in the recipe is the quick fix! :D
* You'll still have to comb nits to keep your kids in school. Joyous. But a soak with white vinegar should help loosen the "glue".
* Neem stinks. Really, really stinks. Not so bad out of the bottle but horrible in the soap at the 24 hour unmold and cut mark. But after curing it's much, much better - I even kind of like the smell.
* Tea tree is toxic to cats! So no using this on your animals to rid them of fleas. :( Bugger.
* I believe the suggestion was to use this once a week to prevent interest from the crawlies.

This batch *just* hit the 3 week mark and I've used the soap all over 3 times. I have to admit I was skeptical at using a bar cleanser on my hair, I've had lots of experience with bar soaps in kids' hair and it's never been a happy time. But this actually leaves my hair very nice and clean feeling with no perfumes. Leaves a clean feeling on the skin without "squeaking" or feeling slick.

I didn't run the numbers thru soapcalc and the recipe came out fine, but if you want to the percentages I came up with are:
coconut 25%
olive 25%
palm 18% (I used red which probably contributed to the ugly brown color)
almond 7%
neem 7%
castor 18%

At trace:
castor 9% of the base oils
rosemary, lavender, tea tree & lemon EOs each 1% of total base oils

I intend to take this camping this summer so I'll have to remember to let everyone know how well it works against mosquitoes (they loooooooove me!).

~Lori

I looooooove u 2!
Thanks for all the info (and so quickly I might add!) I'll stash this recipe in my notes and HOPE that I never need to use it!

thanks again. much appreciated! :lol:

jadiebugs1 said:
I looooooove u 2!
Thanks for all the info (and so quickly I might add!) I'll stash this recipe in my notes and HOPE that I never need to use it!

thanks again. much appreciated! :lol:

LOL YW

You might want to make up a batch of soap and stash *it* away in hopes you never need it since the stuff takes nearly a month to cure! I forgot to add that in the process of waiting for it to cure I used a hair oil that worked wonderfully and left the girls' hair (I have 3, all with fine, thick, tangly hair) shiny and smooth...

And dang if I can find the URL. :(
Well, I apologize for lack of proper credit, but the recipe is:
5 tsp coconut oil
10 drops neem
10 drops tea tree EO
2 drops lavender EO
2 drops rosemary EO
2 drops eucalyptus EO
2 drops geranium EO
2 drops lemon EO

It cools to a solid, though if you used fractionated coconut oil you could put it all in a spray bottle. :) I just rubbed some in my palm until it melted, thoroughly coated their scalp and hair and left it in for about an hour, then made them wash it twice (just to be sure they didn't miss any, I can just see them going to school looking like they hadn't had a shower in days!).

~L

You can use straight tes-tree oil on the scalp to get rid of lice as well or mix it w/ shampoo.

Yup tab right on!...i used to use it when i was growing out my dreads just as a prevention aid and scalp conditioner....a word of warning though, if you are going to use it straight on the scalp....make sure it doesnt get in your eyes...that stuff has a WICKED burn that wont let up for a little bit...i swear you could use it as a pepper spray alternative...

leaves your scalp with that "aaaaaaah fresh" feeling though, I love it!

Back