Soap Ph_we are wrong :-)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well everyone we must all be wrong. According to WSP's 2017 magazine, which by the way I do not buy but get the digital version free has an article on soap ph testing. First off they say soap ph ranges from 7-10 and to wet the bar and touch with a ph strip. It does also mention zap testing. So guys and gals I guess we are all wrong. Soap can be ph 7. This is bar soap they are discussing :headbanging:

Gosh, that's interesting! Kevin Dunn, Faith Gratz Oriold, and other competent soapers in the handcrafted and commercial soap world who test soap per standardized lab methods will be very surprised to hear this.

:headbanging:

I never knew they offered that magazine for free. But now I know that they do not do their research. I am intrigued by the fact that Carolyn reads it (and she is pretty smart about this soapmaking stuff, you know), so there has to be some redeeming value to it.

Last edited:
Gosh, that's interesting! Kevin Dunn, Faith Gratz Oriold, and other competent soapers in the handcrafted and commercial soap world who test soap per standardized lab methods will be very surprised to hear this.
And she also mentions that it will lower more during cure. Which we know, but now a ph 7 soap is going to go below 7...

Anyone that has access to the mag you should read the artical. If you purchase $40 or more in a year you get the mags digitally for free. Not that I usually spend that much at WSP, but they did have some good container sales last year. Maybe I misread it...Nope did not mis-read it. She goes on to say that it is critical to test ph.

I never knew they offered that magazine for free. But now I know that they do not do their research. I am intrigued by the fact that Carolyn reads it (and she is pretty smart about this soapmaking stuff, you know), so there has to be some redeeming value to it.

I really do not pay much attention to it and would never pay for one. But since was free I decided to thumb through it. Another reason they are not my favorite supplier. They are suppliers not soapers... BTW their digital version does not work real well.

Susie, it you spent $40 or more go to your account and it will be listed on the left side bar

Yep, I found the magazine. I spent considerably more than the $40. I read the article (well, honestly, I only read as much as I could stand of it). Hence the three headbanging emojis, and then another one for good measure. I also typed out a whole explanation of why that article was wrong in the "contact us" section, but I ran out of space in the box, and then decided that I was throwing pearls before swine, so I gave up. I have to get ready to go to work now, so maybe I can formulate a more concise answer while I am working.

Their digital version gets sent to my e-mail. Sometimes I open it and read parts of it that might strike my fancy before deleting, and sometimes I just delete it without ever opening it. I'm sure glad I did the latter with this month's edition. This is what I think deserves to happen to such bad, erroneous soaping info:

IrishLass :)

Back