Soap PH level

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diana carmen

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

What is your experience with soap PH? How much does it matter and how does it influence the soap?
Also, do you find that shampoo bars should have a different PH than body soap bars?
And how do you measure PH? If the water is harder, has a different PH and also the resunting value is different.

I am making cold processed soap, and the PH is usually high, around 9/10. And the bars are very soft on skin, and hidrating; I also have extra fat of about 8%. But I measure this using PH strips and tap water.

Because the water ph varies and the results vary, a friend sais she is not measuring ph anymore because it’s not relevant. So now I wonder what is your experience.

Thank you for your thoughts,
Diana

All lye-based soap is alkaline, usually around 9-10. The more neutral you get, the less the soap will stay...well, soap. It's an alkaline product by nature. I don't measure pH - the strips aren't terribly accurate anyway. You will hear a lot of opinions on lye soap as shampoo bars, and I'm personally too chicken to try it out on my own hair. Too many people have had disasters after a period of time, and I will stick with my synthetic detergent shampoo. Zany (Zany in CO) does use shampoo bars based on lye soap and has had success although uses some very specific stuff - you can find a lot of threads about this topic.

If you'd like to learn more about the pH testing of soap, Modern Soapmaking has an article exploring the accuracy of different testing methods: https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/how-to-ph-test-handmade-soap/ (a quick heads-up: it's not that easy, and not necessarily all that useful!)

For discussion about shampoo bars, check out Genny's Shampoo Bar thread: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/shampoo-bar-thanks-lindy.30946/ There's a LOT of discussion there. It's on my list to try!

Happy soaping!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back