Soap Pet peeves

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shimmersoap

Reaction score
My personal pet peeve is when people say the intials for cold process instead of the actaul word. Like "I'm making CP soap." I'm like, no this is how you say it, "I'm making Cold process soap." Do you have any strange soaping pet peeves? Share!

If I am talking to another soaping person that is familiar with the vernacular, there is no reason for me to say "cold process" rather than CP. Not that I have any soapy people to talk to, or that I would necessarily say "CP". But I think either way is fine, IF the other person understands the acronym. After all, do you say "Internal Revenue Service"? Nope, you, I, and every other American says "IRS", because we all understand what is meant.

Working in the IT world (see what I did there?), I'd never get anything done if I didn't use acronyms.

"I'll send electronic mail to you with the Procedural Language/Structured Query Language query attached so that you can user acceptance test our Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition environment and make sure it's identical to the E-Business Suite Enterprise Resource Planning system. If not, please let me know so that I can update the Extract, Transform, Load system and adjust the Physical, Business Model, and Presentations layers."

instead of...

"I'll send an email to you with the PLSQL query attached so that you can UAT our OBIEE environment and make sure it's identical to EBS. If not, please let me know so that I can update ETL and adjust the RPD."

It's the same thing with any kind of jargon and abbreviations. So long as everyone knows what the heck I'm talking about...

79 y/o female with a recent PMH of MI, CAD, IDDM, HTN referred for therapy s/p a recent fall resulting in a RTHR; underwent ORIF.......

Yep we all have our jargon - Snappy, yours is kind of sexy though...:oops:

My biggest soaping pet peeve: soaping myths that are repeated so often by bloggers or soaping groups without being researched or checked out first, that they've mistakenly (and detrimentally) been accepted as set-in-stone "indisputable facts" by untold numbers of unsuspecting newcomers to the craft who haven't yet had enough time and/or hands-on experience making soap in order for them to know any better.

Any other soaping pet peeves I might have pale in comparison, although selling soap without having spent at least a year researching/conducting quality control testing ranks up there as a very close second.

Acronyms don't bother me as long as I'm familiar with the vernacular, or at least know where to look them up if I'm not.

IrishLass :)

Oh dear, don`get me started o_O

There are soapmakers (here in Norway) that sell their soaps online, and that claim to have made soap for years and say they know what they are doing.

But when I start reading what they actually say about their soaps, and what ailments they can heal if people only used a bar of their soaps...

Several of them claim their soap can actually heal psoriasis just by using their soap a coupple of times a week. They don`t say their soap is less irritating to the skin so it doesn`t work against the skin during break-outs. No, their soap CURES Psoriasis.

I actually have Psoriasis, have had it for at least 10 years now. I get it on my face, hairline, eyebrows, elbows, back etc.

And no matter how gentle my soaps are, how soft and cushiony lather they produce - they don`t actually heal or CURE anything.

Making my skin less irritaded and sore because it has gentle oils and very litte - to 0% coconut oil in it? Sure!

But healed? As in... cured?

The only thing fully cured in my house, is a bar of soap that rests on a rack getting ready to be used.

End of rant.

People show me, gift me other soap maker's soap. What gets me almost 100% of the time is the label, specifically the listing of ingredients. The packaging is all attractive but glycerin as the primary ingredient with no mention of the oils that were the SOURCE of the glycerin....one of many labels I've read that gave me pause...

My biggest soapy pet peeve is when I give someone a selection of soap samples of different recipes for review, and months later... nothing. So I finally get them cornered and ask about the soaps, they will say something like "Oh I liked such and such best because it smelled better."
I have never had anyone yet say that they liked a certain soap because of its characteristics, its always the smell. That really drives me up the wall.

My biggest pet peeve is other soap sellers who claim that their products cure various ailments (I've seen everything from local sellers including claims to "cure" eczema, the bumps on the backs of the arms, PUPPP pregnancy rash - you name it).

My other peeve is when customers ask me "what's my base." They don't really want me to tell them the ingredients in my soap (and each bar has an ingredient list), but they ask anyway, and I always answer. They ask as if it's M&P, when I thoughtfully formulate each and every recipe. Sigh.

My BIGGEST peeve though (and this is probably just from doing far too many markets lately) is people telling me that they want to take a bite of my soap. I don't make the cutesy cupcake or cake soaps. My soaps look like SOAP. Why in the world would you want to EAT it!?!?

Ok, rant over. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Last edited:
My biggest pet peeve is people that cannot take constructive criticism when they ask a question or post a "hot topic" statement. It's as though they don't want the truth; they just want to hear that they're brilliant and everything they do is wonderful. They want to get that trophy for just showing up. (Although, that is not just soap, that is life in general.) You know what? If you don't want the truth, don't ask the question! (Especially if I am anywhere near.) I don't intend to be mean about things, I'm just very blunt, to the point and say what I think. And I welcome others to do the same. I want others to do the same. I'm a big girl. If I am offended by what you post, I'll ignore you until I calm down and re-read it (a few more times). If I am still offended, I'll let you know I'm offended and why. If I offend you, I would hope you do the same and give me the opportunity to better explain my point and/or apologize, if needed. We don't have to agree with each other. We don't even have to like each other; but, we do have to be respectful of each other. If everyone practiced that concept--respect, we would live in a much better world. Nice wouldn't have happened. Orlando wouldn't have happened. Baghdad wouldn't have happened. Oh what a world it would be...

I totally digressed and got on a rant. Sorry about that. But that's my soaping pet peeve, not being able to take constructive criticism. Don't ask if you really don't want us to tell.

TeresaT talking about me...:mrgreen:

Same nerve endings as a lot of the other posts. HP ( hot process) doesn't need to cure etc. This some fixes everything that snake oil doesn't and most things that it does, not using INCI names for ingredients, not knowing if the soap they are selling is M&P(melt and pour) or hand made.

I had a good chuckle on the shorthand. I worked in a field that had it's very own language. All abreviations.

My biggest soapy pet peeve is when I give someone a selection of soap samples of different recipes for review, and months later... nothing. So I finally get them cornered and ask about the soaps, they will say something like "Oh I liked such and such best because it smelled better."
I have never had anyone yet say that they liked a certain soap because of its characteristics, its always the smell. That really drives me up the wall.

Definitely! Most people look at me like I have 4 heads when I ask about soap performance! Have people gotten so used to bad syndet bars that they simply have no other expectations? A chunk of soap is just something you put up with in a shower = a tool that's used unconsciously to get clean?

I had to make the bars all appear and smell the same to get honest reviews of performance. Then you need to avoid using 1,2,3,4 or A,B,C,D straight in a row, because everyone inevitably picks 1 or A. I use 5, P, 3, T. Random number/letter combinations to avoid it.

Definitely! Most people look at me like I have 4 heads when I ask about soap performance! Have people gotten so used to bad syndet bars that they simply have no other expectations? A chunk of soap is just something you put up with in a shower = a tool that's used unconsciously to get clean?

BINGO!! You nailed it. Give that girl a gold star. "Soap...it'll get you clean." My tag line for a reason. Until I MADE soap, I had no idea of the qualities of soap. It's soap. It gets the dirt and stink off. What more do you need? No one but soap makers actually care about the qualities. People want soap to smell good and not dry their skin out. The "soap" that is sold commercially today offers a vast array of fragrances and formulas to do just that. There are deodorant soaps, and moisturizing soaps, and antibacterial soaps, and foamy soaps, and every other soap imaginable. The problem is, they're not soap. Like you said, they're syndents.

I had no idea how to describe the soap's qualities until I got feedback from another soaper on one of my bars. Then it made sense. Big open bubbles, small foamy bubbles, OO strands, dense lather, creamy lather, strong scent, weak scent, lingering scent, rinses clean, slippery feeling, slick feeling, sticky feeling, and a myriad of other things to think about while I am showering with a bar of soap. All that while trying not to think about what the day ahead is going to be like: what the counterfeit load is going to be, how many bills are due today, what agent is on what continent, getting a cash advance so I can go to Nashville (I hate going to Nashville, why did I volunteer to go to Nashville!!); crap, Max is into something I can hear him...if he has that trash can all over the place I'm going to kill him (oh no, did I leave anything on the counter?). Then, when I finally get out of the shower, get dressed and take care of Max's mess, I've got to remember to write down my thoughts on the soap. NOT so much. This is a typical day in the life of me. And I don't have kids. Imagine the people with kids and REAL problems? Oh my gosh!! I owe TOMH a critique on one of his soaps that he was kind enough to send to me. I have used it for a few months and really like it. However, I cannot tell you a thing about it other than it smells good and doesn't dry out my skin. When I'm actually using it, I make notes in my head about all of the qualities of the soap. When I get out of the shower, the thoughts have gone down the drain along with the bubbles. (Sorry TOMH!!) I'm going to have to bring my phone in there with me, set it on a tripod, turn on the voice notes and shout out what the qualities of the soap are as I'm using it. Then transcribe the voice note and send it to him. (Or just send the note. :lolno:)

TeresaT talking about me...:mrgreen:

Same nerve endings as a lot of the other posts. HP ( hot process) doesn't need to cure etc. This some fixes everything that snake oil doesn't and most things that it does, not using INCI names for ingredients, not knowing if the soap they are selling is M&P(melt and pour) or hand made.

I had a good chuckle on the shorthand. I worked in a field that had it's very own language. All abreviations.

Which part? The "can't take constructive criticism" part or my pet peeve is "those" people.

Me, too. I work for the US government. We invented acronyms and abbreviations. We have a "SHIP" (SHelter In Place) program and I had to develop the protocols for the Chattanooga Office. I had to come up with the space for SHIP. In the event of an emergency, the evidence vault is our spaceSHIP. I had way too much fun developing those protocols, too. There's a box of kitty litter and a biohazard bag available for "extended stays." Nobody better use that thing, but it's there if it's needed.

ETA: I'm guilty of this. But, I only make soap. And soap does not need to be labeled. Therefore, I'm doing everyone a "favor" by putting the ingredients on the label. And I do it in plain English. If I ever make other products, I'll change all of my labels to INCI ingredients to keep them consistent. But for now, hahahahahaha. Too bad, deal with it, darling. :lol:

Last edited:
Back