Soap paste use directly?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divyadinesh07

Reaction score
Can soap paste made from potassium hydroxide be used directly instead of turning it into liquid soap?

Yes, I use my 100% CO paste directly on a rag or brush to clean pots and pans. I also use a different formula paste in a twist up tube for "soap to go" tossed in my purse so I can avoid using commercial soap in public restrooms.

I third that. If I need a little more scrubby-ness, I will shake a little Bon Ami or baking soda on whatever I'm cleaning, put some soap paste on my cleaning rag, and mix the two together as I scrub. Works great.

I also use 100% coconut paste for cleaning, but still make it with Sodium Hydroxide (KOH) which is used for making a liquid soap paste

Hehe, nah, get some more coffee. Koh is potassium hydroxide and I know you already know that. :grin:

I also use 100% coconut paste for cleaning, but still make it with Sodium Hydroxide (KOH) which is used for making a liquid soap paste
Duh, this is what happens when you type before having coffee in the morning :razz: KOH =potassium hydroxide for soap paste NaOH sodium hydroxide = Hard soap... :p I really do know...

Is it safe to use soap paste on body and face? If it's made from Olive/ rice bran oil or any skin nourishing oil.

If your superfat is above 0, then yes, it is perfectly safe. I have used my "soap2go" as emergency body soap and shampoo more than once. My suggestion is to have a superfat of at least 3%, though.

Once I use this tube up, I intend to make more with a 5% superfat to bring it more in line with my bar soap, and also use more lard in it to give it that extra conditioning. We avoid using superfat above 3% to keep the diluted soap clear, so if you are keeping it as paste, that does not apply. Same thing with avoiding the "clouding" oils- no one is diluting this, so no reason to avoid them.

"... But does the soap paste lather well? ..."

The amount of lather you get depends on the recipe, just like any other soap.

Back