Soap partial gelled, is it usable?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summerblue

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I need some input on my newest Lemon soap.
I just un-molded it and it is partially gelled in the middle.
Normally I wrap my soaps but this one had a whipped top and I didnt' want to wreck the fragile whipped top by covering it.

Here's a picture. Do you think it is still usable, I'm new to soapmaking and I've never had to deal with a partially gelled soap before. Will it change the soap much? thanks for any help!
Anne

lemonsoap8.jpg

By surile at 2011-01-01

Do you think it is still usable?

Absolutely! As long as your soap does not 'zap', it is perfectly good to use, whether fully gelled, partially gelled, or not gelled at all.

Your soap looks stunning, by the way.

IrishLass :)

Hi Anne,

Your soap will be fine to use.

If you're using wooden moulds, you can heat them up in the oven (very low temp) before putting your soap into it, then put back into warm oven (switched off but still warm) to complete gel. I quite often do that, however I'm not sure how whipped soap behaves so use your own judgement.

I like the layers--lemon with meringue! Cool idea.

Wow Summerblue, that is gorgeous soap! If you are new to soapmaking I am anxious to see your creations after you have a few batches under your belt.

Nice!

I've used the oven and I've also used tents to trap heat without squishing down the tops of soaps. If you have something with a fragile top like this and you want to make sure it fully gels, it might also work.

Put the soap on a blanket (you could also put it on a heating pad) and then put some tall stable items around the periphery of the mold. I use a candelabra (very heavy, so it won't fall), bottles, vases, etc.. as long as they're nicely above the top of the soap. Then I drape several fleece blankets over the tall things and tuck in the bottoms so there are no drafts. Make certain that the blankets don't droop into the soap, of course. It traps enough heat to let the soap gel all the way. You could also set the mold into a cardboard box with a top and cover it with blankets and as long as the box isn't way larger than the mold, it should trap enough heat to allow it gel completely.

This may not be what you posted the question for. Sorry if you already know all this. I just feel like I have a personal vendetta against partial gel because I don't care for the looks. The soap is always fine- it doesn't care, just I do. :)

Thanks everyone for your help!
I finally cut the soap and it doesn't look too bad. It's hard to tell that it's gelled at all.

lemonsoap28.jpg

By surile at 2011-01-02

Thank you Bubbles and Newbie for your advice. I like the look of the whipped soap so I will try some of your methods.

thanks everyone for being so kind!
Anne

Very pretty soap! I seem to be gel challended lately because I've been trying to swirl and end up with partially or non-gelled soap. I put mine in the oven (in the mold) on about 125 to 150. I check it frequently and try not to let it get too hot. It doesn't take too long, but if you get it too hot it will look funny.

yes its fine, ive had soap partially gel and with a cure, it disappeared.

It's very pretty soap. It turned out beautifully!
When I want to protect the top of my soap I cover it with a cardboard box and then blankets. I like to keep the molds warm with a heating pad underneath too.

Latest posts

Back