Soap paper?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GraciousGraphics

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm not a soap maker, 'just make equipment for soapers in NZ.

I've recently found this item on 'Wish' and wondering what exactly it is, my guess is a dissoluble rice paper impregnated with soap - doesn't seem likely it's actual (thin) slices of soap, they would fall to bits surely?

Here's the link: https://www.wish.com/search/soap/product/5d779dbc25699f5a8f48a8c9

Cheers from NZ,
Bob

These were really popular when I was a kid lol. You can only be popular at my primary school if you have them.
From my memory it's unlikely it's rice paper-that will be really fragile and breakable, but it's a possibility.
There is a kind of water-dissoluble fabric that was used for quilting if I remembered correctly? I figured something like that is more likely, flexible and more sturdy, immersed in soap batter and you get paper soap.

These were really popular when I was a kid l
They must have been popular in the US at one time. We recently came across a very old packet when cleaning out some of my mother's things. Based on the picture on the packet, looks like it was made in the 1940s or 1950s.
Fascinating!
I wonder if campers would be interested in such a product now :smallshrug:

Based on the picture on the packet, looks like it was made in the 1940s or 1950s.
WOW vintage soap o_O
There is a water solution paper you could use with melt and pour to make your own.
I was pretty intrigued by this topic and went searching. Indeed Bramble Berry carries water soluble paper for MP soap.
I also found a local supplier that carries water soluble fabric (textured like tea bag fabric), water soluble sheets (think plastic wrap), and water soluble paper, all for different kinds of embroidery. I might try to get some smaller pieces and see if I can make soap paper with CP soap, that will be a interesting experiment;).

That is very cool!

A couple of months before Christmas I came across an article somewhere to make "Soap Leaves" as individual hand soaps for holiday guests. They were just silk leaves dipped in M&P soap and put into a dish or basket for use in the bathroom. Thought those were pretty cool tool. The water soluble paper is very cool though.

Thank you for your replies people.
I thought it was something new but now it looks like it's been around for years.
My soap cutters could cut very thin slices, but they would probably dry out in a matter of days and just crumble to pieces if you tried to use them. The idea is intriguing though!

Thank you for your replies people.
I thought it was something new but now it looks like it's been around for years.
My soap cutters could cut very thin slices, but they would probably dry out in a matter of days and just crumble to pieces if you tried to use them. The idea is intriguing though!

Latest posts

Back