Soap never hardens & it's difficult to completely rinse off

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muncle

Reaction score
My third batch ever hasn't really hardened yet after 5 weeks, plus it's not easy to completely rinse off as it's leaving an oily feel on the hands.
Here's the recipe:
Avocado-10%
Castor-5%
Coconut:25%
Olive:50%
Sunflower:10%
(a total of 25 oz. of oils along with 3.41 oz. of lye and 8.25 oz. water)
One tablespoon ground oats
1 oz lavender oil
6% superfat

Just wondering where I may have gone wrong.

Last edited:
having a similar problem myself. HP is a little better than my CPsoap. Have changed to a different olive oil than what I first started with and am wondering if this could be the problem. Interested to hear what others think

You may just need a longer cure. My guess is that the olive is giving you the less desirable result. Try it once a week/month to watch it develop. My guess 3-6 months and you’ll have a nice mild bar

It's 70% liquid oils, it's going to need a very long cure. Tuck it away for 6 months then give it a try.

You would have a better soap and shorter curing time if you use some hard oils like palm, lard or tallow.

My third batch ever hasn't really hardened yet after 5 weeks, plus it's not easy to completely rinse off as it's leaving an oily feel on the hands.
Here's the recipe:
Avocado-10%
Castor-5%
Coconut:25%
Olive:50%
Sunflower:10%
(a total of 25 oz. of oils along with 3.41 oz. of lye and 8.25 oz. water)
One tablespoon ground oats
1 oz lavender oil
6% superfat
Just wondering where I may have gone wrong.

You've used 29% Lye concentration. With a soap like that I would use 33% lye concentration. This reduces the amount of water you use and speeds up the cure.

I would also drop the superfat to 2 or 3%. At 6% that could result in the oily feel.

Did you use pomace or any additives?
If you added a colour and mixed it with extra water that would also lead to soft soap .
How did you mix in the ground oats?

No doubt it will cure into a very nice bar in a few more weeks and continue to get better.
The bars may warp a bit due to the high water amount.

Latest posts

Back