Soap Molds!!! Changing it up...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loni S

Reaction score
Hi all,

My first post on here (thanks for having me!). I've been making CP soap for about 2 years now and am addicted šŸ˜

I'm hoping for a different look/size for my bars so am thinking of changing up my soap mold (my current mold is pictured here). Before my husband makes one for me, I have three questions...
  1. Is there anything I should be aware of (change of process, setting time, etc) if I change to a slab mold?
  2. Is the ability to unscrew the sides off really needed? I haven't had a situation yet that I couldn't lift my soap out by the paper lining.
  3. I've been lining my mold with parchment paper, but I'm finding it puckers a little when the soap is setting so my soap has those pucker lines in it. Should I be using something else to line the mold?
Thank you so much!

IMG_1132.JPG

1. There shouldn't be a change of process changing from a loaf to a slab mould. The only change would be quantity of soap, if the size is different, you will have to work out how much soap is needed and then run it through soap calc.
2. I don't have screws on my mould and it comes out easily. I turn mine upside down and shake it out.
3. If you are having trouble with your parchment you can use freezer paper. It can still pucker, the same as parchment.it just takes time to line it properly without creases. What you see is what you get, puckering is there before the soap is added.

1) You may find that your soap gels, or doesn't, differently in the new mold. Not a bad thing, but it should be considered.

2) Not really, no.

3) I would recommend a silicon liner. it will eliminate those lines and lower your waste.

There are all kinds of materials for DIY mold liners: flexible cutting board material, stencil plastic, oil cloth, silicone sheets, corrugated plastic. No puckering with any of them, if cut to fit well, although I have yet to try it with Oil Cloth, so I can't be sure how well it works.

Here's a link to one made with plastic & silicone sheeting them:

Here's a link to one made with corrugated plastic:

I find that I need to force gel with a slab mold ( if you want it to gel that is)
Right, that makes sense. Thank you!

There are all kinds of materials for DIY mold liners: flexible cutting board material, stencil plastic, oil cloth, silicone sheets, corrugated plastic. No puckering with any of them, if cut to fit well, although I have yet to try it with Oil Cloth, so I can't be sure how well it works.

Here's a link to one made with plastic & silicone sheeting them:

Here's a link to one made with corrugated plastic:

Thank you!!!

Latest posts

Back