Soap Molds and Insulation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinxaire

Reaction score
I'm probably going to be making pretty small batches of soap just for me and my roommie to use. I've been looking at really adorable molds on sites like http://www.thesoapgoat.com. First of all, does anyone have any experiences with purchasing from that site?

Also, what might concern me that I've heard insulation is important within the first 21 hours for making CP soaps. With small batches in 3-9 cavity molds, will that affect my soap quality?

Also, who is your favorite ingredient supplier online?

My favorite supplier is Mountian Rose Herbs, I use them for everything from soap to salves and everything else! :)

You will have no problems with The Soap Goat.

To reach gel on individual molds just place a blanket on your table, a flat surface (like a board or a cutting board) on the blanket, put your mold on top of that, and then cover with the blanket. No problems with gel that way. Another thing you can do is to put the molds in a box with a lid and tuck a blanket around them in the box.

The hardest part is getting the soap out of the mold! Pop them in the freezer after they have hardened (gone through gel and cooled back down). Then dip the bottom in a sink of warm water. Should pop right out after that.

I use several suppliers, depends on what you want in how big of quantities. I use Columbus Foods for my oils because I buy huge amounts at one time, Boyer for my lye for the same reason, Wholesalesuppliesplus.com for misc things (fragrance and oils in smaller sizes) and Sweet Cakes and Candles and Supplies for certain fragrances.

HTH

That's a relief. Thanks for the insulation info. I'd probably insulate it and put in in our laundry room - the only room in our apartment that doesn't get blasted with the a/c.

And thanks both of you for all of the wonderful references. That'll keep me busy for a while browsing through all of the goodies. :)

Back