Soap Mold Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaRoman

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new when it comes to soap making. I have watched many youtube videos as well as did a lot of research.
I am in the process of building 2 soap molds similar to the no liner soap molds with the sides and ends on piano hinges.
My question is can I use furniture paste wax on the sides so I wouldn't have to use a liner? Or could I contact cement the butcher paper to the sides and bottom of the mold so I don't have to line it every time I use them.
Or am I out of luck and have to make a liner every time. Also, is it the shiny side of the paper that goes against the soap?
Thanks

Furniture paste might work, although no guarantees ... some are made with waxes that saponify and those won't work. Also I don't think I'd care to use something as a mold release that I would not want to use on my skin.

Freezer paper is what you want to use, not butcher paper. Also freezer paper doesn't last forever so I wouldn't glue it down. Shiny side always goes toward the soap.

Thanks for the info DeeAnna. It was very helpful.

Hi snappyllama, I have already cut my wood for the molds but if I get deeper into soap making, I will definitely go with the silicone liners. Thank you

Hello to you too Susie.

I use wood molds with freezer paper shiney side toward the soap. I have learned how to wrap packages since I started soaping so I could fold the freezer paper. Yeah, I'm a man and I can change if I have too, I guess ( Red and Green).
I also use wood to support my silicone loaf molds to prevent bowing from the silicone. Since you already have cut wood for molds it will be a simple thing when you get the silicone molds to make supports for them.

And welcome to the forum.
Pull up a stump and have a seat.

Soaping 101 has a video on making your own silicone liners. If you build your own molds why not custom everything

Buy thin silicon liquid it comes in two parts. It can be thin enough to brush on, no idea how long it'll last for though

I used roofing and gutter silicone (because I had it on hand. Any silicone sealer will work) I smooshed it out with my finger and then used a piece of plastic cutting board to smooth it out. I wouldn't use a brush unless you want brush marks to show up on your soap. As for longevity of this method, my moulds are still holding up well and I usually CPOP my soap.

Hi Steve85569, I have purchase the paper but i haven't started with soap making just yet. Very busy at work now but hoping to make my first batch over the Christmas holidays.

Hi BattleGnome, I have watched the video. Thanks

Hi dillsandwitch, that idea had crossed my mind as well. I am going to try it. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Hi DreamerB, thanks for the info but I have a ton of leftover silicone caulk thats taking up space at my shop. (I am a cabinetmaker and use silicone to seal where the countertop meets the walls)

Back