Soap mixture accident

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mani13

Reaction score
Hi all

I am new to soapmaking and the forum and am freaking out!

I assumed only the lye water mixture is dangerous. I used my figure to pick out calendula flowers that landed in the wrong spot - I washed my hands no burns luckily but then after I had finished I ate some chips - my question is and apologies if I’m overacting but would it be poisonous? Again I have no burns and my hands were washed before I ate.

Let me see if I understand correctly; you used a bare finger to remove calendula flowers from soap batter. Then you washed your hands. You had no signs of stinging or burning on the finger that touched soap batter? Then you touched and ate potato chips from that finger/hand?

No, you're not poisoned. Washing removed any unsaponified lye. Otherwise you would have felt stinging or burning on your fingers and mouth.

You can relax now! :)

Let me see if I understand correctly; you used a bare finger to remove calendula flowers from soap batter. Then you washed your hands. You had no signs of stinging or burning on the finger that touched soap batter? Then you touched and ate potato chips from that finger/hand?

No, you're not poisoned. Washing removed any unsaponified lye. Otherwise you would have felt stinging or burning on your fingers and mouth.

You can relax now! :)

Lol thanks - I know it was a stupid question but I started stressing out thinking I could taste a metallic taste and then said to myself I’m not burning - my insides aren’t burning but I went into panic mode anyway lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Mani. Would you like to Introduce yourself in The Introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself, seeing this is your first post.

Lol thanks - I know it was a stupid question but I started stressing out thinking I could taste a metallic taste and then said to myself I’m not burning - my insides aren’t burning but I went into panic mode anyway lol
I had those moments of panic when I first started soaping too. Best thing you can do is always wear gloves, so you'll never stick an unprotected finger in soap batter again.

A couple years back I had a can of soda on the counter next to my soap bowl. I had poured some of the soap then took a drink, after a bit the corner of my mouth started burning.

I quickly washed up, not thinking much about it until I took another drink and got a immediate pain in the same spot. Thats when I noticed the soap batter on the soda can rim.

I got a decent burn on the corner of my mouth and inside my lip. There was no taste at all from the soap batter, if it wouldn't have burned, I would have never known it was there.

Lesson learned, no food or drink in the soaping area.

OMG, Obsidian! I am so glad you caught on after the second sip! I agree with you completely! When I soap, I fill up a tall cup ice & a lid and a straw, which I place across the room from my soaping work table. When I get thirsty, I have to walk over to it and bend over to take a sip. This is how I manage my thirst while making soap. It has worked very well for me and I would recommend it to anyone to deal with thirst while making soap.

Back