Soap Making Newbie

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrayWolf

Reaction score
What information do I need when it comes to soapmaking. What is popular and what types would sell best if you were to sell your product on the market.
Personally, I like the cold process soap. I guess lye soap would be the prime example. The last bar of lye soap was so smooth and aged....... It was great. Can you scent and color cold processed soaps.
I know less about soaps than I do the Candles. I have read about the Milled and Melt and Pour but I am also skeptical about it. Even though it is easy !
Where can I find info on the FDA and the FTC in regard to soap. Mostly curious about this aspect. Thank you for any information. I would appreciate it !!

Hi,
What is popular and what sells really depends on your area. I seem to sell the best to the "granola" crowd. So fo me it's naturally colored soaps with essential oils.
Yes, you can color and scent CP soaps.

Irena

You will need to buy some books and/or look for information on the internet. This is a great website to read for information and learning.

http://www.millersoap.com/

I suggest you really do alot of reading to start to understand the fundamentals of soap making and learn how to handle lye properly. Soap making can be a lot of fun but you should have a basic understanding how soap making before venturing in. The Miller site is a great site to start with in your research. It has alot of great information.

All soap must have lye to get soap. Melt and Pour or MP soap does not need to have lye added to it - that process has already been done for you. MP soap just needs to be colored, scented and mold for the most part. You can add other goodies to it but again, you need to understand what your base is and what amounts of extras you can add without affecting the soap.

CP and HP soap all are made using lye. You can color, scent and add lots of different additives while going through the soaping process. There are different aspects of the CP and HP process and doing research should proivde you with some information.

Good luck and once you start, have fun.

Thank you all for the information. Will need to check into what is selling in this area. I bookmarked the Miller's Soap site. Will do some reading and research. Thanks again !!

What I've learned selling soap is like soapbuddy said. Depends on the area. When selling at the University here, they are all very "new age" so they like colorful and natural.

Older communities I've found do not like soap that has too much fragrance.

I agree with CPSoaper, do a ton of research. One thing that is very important when selling handmade anything that goes on the body is insurance. All it takes is one person to say your soap gave them some awful disease and then you'll lose everything. :(

Hi Gray,
I am new as well and still researching. I jsut picked up the book "Clean, Naturally...recipes for the body,home and spirit" written by Sandy Maine. She only has one basic oil formulation, but there are many,many essential oil and fragrance oil combinations that may give you some insight to what you would like to create.

As far as what the best selling soaps are, I can't tell you. But just in my research again, most soapmakers sites I have visited has a calendula, a lavender, and a honey/oatmeal.

Patchouli blends also seem to be popular. I have no idea what a patchouli is. Citrus blends and Rosemary also.

hope this helps.

CPSoaper said:
You will need to buy some books and/or look for information on the internet. This is a great website to read for information and learning.

http://www.millersoap.com/

I suggest you really do alot of reading to start to understand the fundamentals of soap making and learn how to handle lye properly. Soap making can be a lot of fun but you should have a basic understanding how soap making before venturing in. The Miller site is a great site to start with in your research. It has alot of great information.

All soap must have lye to get soap. Melt and Pour or MP soap does not need to have lye added to it - that process has already been done for you. MP soap just needs to be colored, scented and mold for the most part. You can add other goodies to it but again, you need to understand what your base is and what amounts of extras you can add without affecting the soap.

CP and HP soap all are made using lye. You can color, scent and add lots of different additives while going through the soaping process. There are different aspects of the CP and HP process and doing research should proivde you with some information.

Good luck and once you start, have fun.

I second this what CPsoaper says..

CPSoaper ,
Thanks for the information. Don't get the chance to really scope out the miller site as much as I want. Have gotten 2 books at the library that seem to be very good. It is a start. Learning how to make soap again should be fun. I helped my father make some in 1976 when I was 12. It was fun.

It sounds like you are on a fine start. Soap making is a lot of fun and very addicting. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Back