Soap Making Newbie!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaityJuju

Reaction score
I started making melt-and-pour soaps around late 2018 after seeing a youtube video on how to make them. Seemed to easy I wanted to try. For now I've stuck with using these bases with essential oils and fragrance oils purchased from Michaels in Canada. I've produced some beautiful soaps so far, however the problem I'm facing is finding somewhere to purchase my supplies in order to keep producing soaps at a reduced cost. If I manage to catch a 50% off coupon from Michaels, I usually grab a 5lb block of soap base that is usually retailed around 34$ CDN for 17$ CDN which is the same cost of the 2lb blocks.

The essential oils I normally purchased online from Mystic Moments, and a bottle of 100ml (depending on what the oil was from) would cost me anywhere from 12-25$ however I normally never purchased oils that were over 20$ to keep my cost as minimal as possible. Their prices went up recently so I've been looking for other outlets to purchase from. I'd prefer not buying fragrance oil since I know it's not the same as essential oils and I love making mostly natural-scented soaps, however cost is a thing for me so I may not have a choice.

I charge just 3$/bar in a batch of 15 square bar chunks (about palm size) so I can still make money off a batch once it's all sold, but the margin isn't much.

Anywho, the images attached are some of my finished products. I've used Lavender, Lilac, Orange, Coffee, and Rose oils (fragrance/essential) so far. Any advice is greatly appreciated, remember I'm Canadian so we get hosed for anything purchased from the US or UK so I'd like to keep my range within Canada for getting supplies.

Thank you! :)
65386312_10156279983437124_8628107367973650432_n.jpg 20190120_053005.jpg IMG_1355.JPG

Nice! Check out New Directions Aromatics. Their prices on many things are better than I've seen in the US and the quality is so much better than Michaels (which IME, varies from fine to mediocre). Just as a sample, none of their fragrance oils cost more than $9; most are between $5 and $6.50. Their soap bases are $6 to 8 for 2 lb.
Have fun shopping!

Latest posts

Back