Soap making ingredients suppliers in India

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the reply. So Ayush comes directly under the central government of India. Is it possible to easily get an license for selling handmade soaps and could you get me the requirements? I came to know that studying Chemistry and also a Pharmacy graduation is a must for applying for the license.

loving this thread

does anyone have an idea what kind of license do we need to sell cold processed soaps online or retail
I guess soap comes under cosmetics, so, you have to get licence from FDA. Also, you may need a dedicated space for soap making since people will come for inspection.

Anyone know where we can get color stabilizer in India? I used a vanilla FO in a soap and the soap turned brown after few weeks.

Thank you for the reply. So Ayush comes directly under the central government of India. Is it possible to easily get an license for selling handmade soaps and could you get me the requirements? I came to know that studying Chemistry and also a Pharmacy graduation is a must for applying for the license.
Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, it's a central subject, but state governments (FDA Deptt. - Food & Drugs Administration) issue licenses. Last year Drug and cosmetic Act 1940 got replaced by a new Act. you can google "Drug and Cosmetic Act 2020 + .pdf) download the pdf and go through relevant pages only. it gives all details for example:

-Which manufacturing activity shall require how much space (for example let's say soap manufacturing require a minimum production area of 200Sq Mtr)
-In addition to that you would need a separate storage area for raw material, packaging and final goods (all dimensions are provided)
-how raw material should be kept in the raw material storage room (dry herbs, wet/oils, mineral waste, holding area* - for raw material which is still under testing to be included in raw material stock etc.)
-All documentation and SOPs standards operating procedure etc.

Believe me, reading that document would be a great place to start and be 100% sure. and any doubts you can always ask us here.

Regarding staff - It depends upon what you are making. for soap making 10th Pass with chemistry as a subject shall do. for example, drug manufacturing will require registered(in that state) Pharma/chemist graduates. you would need one manufacturing head and one testing head (if you doing testing inhouse on raw material and finished goods) + helpers

hope that helps.

Hi,
Happened to me as well.Vanilla extract or Vanilla does that,yes.
Yes, and just learned that lots of FO uses vanillin in it and here people dont mention ingredients on the FO bottle. BTW, I found a method to make own color stabilizer. Mix 25g of SODIUM THIOSULPHATE in 75g water and store the solution in a glass bottle until needed.

Oh, I didnt see that. I will check it out. Thanks. There is no color stabilizer available in our country, only thing we can do is make our own.

Last edited:
I tried their Tea tree oil, Sweet almond oil, Avocado oil and Vitamin E oil. They were good. Their shipping is very fast and also have good customer service. You can try their FO
Was the Tea tree oil good and had the authentic fregrance?
I'm new to soap making and want to buy from vedaoils but they donot sell in small quantity so I need to double check . Secondly any suggestions regarding cheaper oils to use as OLIVE OIL is very expensive in india

any suggestions regarding cheaper oils to use as OLIVE OIL is very expensive in india

Olive Pomace oil is the one mostly used in soaping, its cheaper than Extra Virgin Olive oil. If you buy 5 ltr bottle, you can get it much cheaper.
https://www.amazon.in/Disano-Olive-Pomace-Oil-ltr/dp/B010GGD4UK/And there is a coupon today, with it, it will come around Rs 260 per liter.

I'm new to soap making and want to buy from vedaoils but they donot sell in small quantity so I need to double check .
You can buy Essential oils from aethoncart.com, they sell in smaller quanitities. And for fragrance oils, aromakrafts.com, they sell sample bottles, so, you can buy samples and test which works for you.

Last edited:
Was the Tea tree oil good and had the authentic fregrance?
I'm new to soap making and want to buy from vedaoils but they donot sell in small quantity so I need to double check . Secondly any suggestions regarding cheaper oils to use as OLIVE OIL is very expensive in india
They sell in 100 ml bottles also. Tea Tree oil is of good quality.

Olive Pomace oil is the one mostly used in soaping, its cheaper than Extra Virgin Olive oil. If you buy 5 ltr bottle, you can get it much cheaper.
https://www.amazon.in/Disano-Olive-Pomace-Oil-ltr/dp/B010GGD4UK/And there is a coupon today, with it, it will come around Rs 260 per liter.

Hello, I used this oil in cp soap recently and i suspect it is adulterated. It traced very quickly, before i could add any thing. I was hoping someone would have information about a reliable olive oil source.

Pomace olive oil does trace quickly. I would not expect your pomace OO to be adulterated.
Hello, I used this oil in cp soap recently and i suspect it is adulterated. It traced very quickly, before i could add any thing. I was hoping someone would have information about a reliable olive oil source.

You can buy Essential oils from aethoncart.com, they sell in smaller quanitities. And for fragrance oils, aromakrafts.com, they sell sample bottles, so, you can buy samples and test which works for you.
Thank you for the suggestion .I have used Pomace in place of Olive oil but it is very fast tracing and leaves no working time .

I tried Olive oil {cosmetic } from aethoncart. Not bad and I made a small batch of soap with this. This is good. Pricing is also good. Works just at Rs.305 per litre

https://aethoncart.com/product/olive-oil-2/
Thank you Senaraj for the link. You said u tried the olive oil from aethoncart and also made a small batch, can I know how the oil behaved, did it trace fast ?
I want to use for swirling and in my recipe all the oils are slow moving but the Pomace I used was the culprit.

Thank you Senaraj for the link. You said u tried the olive oil from aethoncart and also made a small batch, can I know how the oil behaved, did it trace fast ?
I want to use for swirling and in my recipe all the oils are slow moving but the Pomace I used was the culprit.
I did not try any designs or Swirls. But I used at just 10 percent of the total fat with the combination of other oils. You can try this Olive oil as this is cost effective and also not a Pomace stuff.

I used the same pomace for 2 batches, one batch took a long time to reach the trace, another one accelerated instantly, may be the combination of other oils, FO or the stearic acid I used.

I used the same pomace for 2 batches, one batch took a long time to reach the trace, another one accelerated instantly, may be the combination of other oils, FO or the stearic acid I used.
Iv read at many places on the internet that Pomace is a fast moving oil and experienced it with 2 batches . It just becomes a blob on adding lye.. ...I'm surprised how ur batch with Pomace took time to trace ...🤔
If u don't mind sharing can u please share which were the other oils u used in combination with Pomace?

Back