soap making blues

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainframe

Reaction score
Ok I followed the video tutorial on expert village for my first batch. everything went pretty well I thought for my first try attempt. But it has been a bit over 48 hours of wrap in towels. I check it a few hours ago and noticed just a very small layer of liquid on the top. Should I leave it alone for another 24hrs or just dump it and start on another batch?

Looks more like oil ... yeah I have a some plastic wrap,lid and three towels inside a closet. But the layer is very thin the rest underneath looked pretty solid. I did the sub the beeswax for sheabutter though. Maybe that was the cause ?

That happened to me on my first try but it was because it was lye heavy. It is such a bummer when the first time doesn't go as planned.

Can you post the recipe that you used? It may help to get to the root of the problem.

joanne

Could it be done? I had a batch I let gel too long and it

got a layer of oil on the top. But it turned out fine. I just

let it sit overnight and the oil disappeared. Then I removed

it from the mold.

Laurie

mainframe said:
Looks more like oil ... yeah I have a some plastic wrap,lid and three towels inside a closet. But the layer is very thin the rest underneath looked pretty solid. I did the sub the beeswax for sheabutter though. Maybe that was the cause ?
Did you run it thru a lye calculator before making it? If you subbed Shea for the beeswax, there would have been differences in the amount of lye required.

I agree, I think you may not have had enough lye to sap all your oils??

Sound like simple overheating and separation to me. Rebatch by cutting in small pieces and heating in a double boiler or crock pot.

Paul

Back