Soap making and Septic Systems...is it ok?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtbailey1030

Reaction score
I own soap business and make all my own products. All the soap is cold-processed. I am getting ready to relocate my family to a house that has a septic system. Is it safe for the septic system to continue making soap once I move?

So far, I realize I will need to be very careful and make sure to limit any oils going down the drain. And I've read in regards to lye, usually it is OK if you're not pouring lye crystals down the drain. But I still have my concerns and was hoping someone that has actual experience with soaping with a septic system could give some input. I would think it would be very hard ALL oils and lye getting into the system.

Any input is appreciated.
Thank you!

We have a septic tank and I have been making soap for ten years with no problems. I wipe the soap gunk out of my containers before washing them. I put hot water in my soap bucket and run the stick blender in the hot water to remove soap from the blade. You can also run hot water in your containers and let them set for a couple of days before putting it down the drain.

I have been soaping for years with a septic system. I thoroughly wipe down my equipment with paper towels before washing.

Not soaping related, but don't flush anything but toilet paper. Don't flush wet wipes or tampons. Tampon in a field line = $400 plumber bill. If you're lucky.

Our plumber also told us to pour sour milk down the drain. The bacteria, etc in the sour milk are good for the septic tank. Basically, it's yogurt for the septic tank.

Thanks! I knew about the tampons...had no idea about sour milk. I'll remember that!

Thanks for your help. I'm glad to hear that it shouldn't be a problem to soap with a septic system. I was wondering about the lye as well, but it's not like I'll be pouring straight lye crystals down the drain.

Straight lye is actually used to clean drains, or used to be. Fortunately for me, hubby is a plumber...lol. He said that as long as you don't let food build up in your lines, raw soap batter isn't usually a problem, unless you have very old or inferior plumbing. Lately, I had been waiting until the batter saponified into soap and then washed the dishes.
ETA- Sour milk is good bacteria, as is most other dairy.

Last edited:
I soaped with a septic system for quite a while. I, too, use the paper towel wipe out before putting things in the sink, then run the stickblender in the water to remove the batter system. I still do that, even now that I live in a city.

I also wiped out as much as I could with a paper towel before washing when we were on a septic system.

Now that we moved into town and on the city water/sewer I can now use bleach again in my laundry! Woo-Hoo!!

Although I do not have a septic system I do the same as Lsg and the others because I have old horrible hillside plumbing with no fall to the lines. I also do not use a garbage disposal, that really causes problems. I actually wash all my soaping utensils in a bucket of hot water, then add in some vinegar and toss the water over the bank. I just add in the vinegar to make sure all lye is neutralized before throwing it over

I wait for sap. and then rinse out, scraping the biggest chunks off first. No raw oils down the sink ever (I pour them around fence posts to kill weeds if it's a veggie oil).

My septic inspector told me never never never to use Rid X because it builds up the sludge! He told me one tablespoon of live yeast (bread making stuff) per toilet per month is much better. I just buy the strip of packets and dump one packet per toilet in...$1 per month I can handle! Told me to do it before going to bed so it sits in the line overnight.

Back