"Soap makes the shower hard to clean"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know nothing about soap chemistry but, what about the chemical detergents and phthalate fragrances in their commercially produced liquid soap? Isn't that enough to make them switch?!

And honestly, I haven't noticed a difference in the scum level in my tub, it seems the same. Although, a few years ago, I had a glass shower door, used liquid soap and had to wash that shower door once per week, it was like looking thru a thick fog.
Yes - that is still a good argument though thanks Jill.

Sodium citrate helps reduce mineral deposits ( soap scum) at 1 to 3 % by weight of oils. I typically use 2% and add in the extra sodium hydroxide to react the citric acid.

I am by no means a chemist so one of the more scientific members will need to 'splain that part.:rolleyes:

Kindly confirm please: Sodium citrate (1 to 3%) plus citric Acid at 1%? Together?

I use citric acid and additional sodium hydroxide to make the sodium citrate in the recipes I am currently using.
I have a local store that stocks citric acid which makes it much easier for me to do that way.
Currently I use 2% by weight of oils. We have hard water and very little build up in the shower.

Note: the reaction is exothermic so do not have your face above the liquid when adding the sodium hydroxide.

I use citric acid and additional sodium hydroxide to make the sodium citrate in the recipes I am currently using.
I have a local store that stocks citric acid which makes it much easier for me to do that way.
Currently I use 2% by weight of oils. We have hard water and very little build up in the shower.

Note: the reaction is exothermic so do not have your face above the liquid when adding the sodium hydroxide.

Thanks. Appreciate the warning note

Latest posts

Back