Soap makers' software??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage Daughter

Formerly known as Quasi Quadrant
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW, typo purgatory! Had to fix that...
•••••

I have searched the forums here regarding this subject & found very little. Nothing which is of any help to me. And I can't seem to find a specific category in the forums to post this question in, so taking my chances here.

I am looking for quality software related to soap making.

I have found Soapmaking Friend, yes, but saw some reviews which were not great, which causes me to hesitate until issues which reviewers mentioned (accuracy problems in relation to oils) are taken care of. If this is no longer the case, I would love to hear from others using Soapmaking Friend as to what their experience has been with this software.

Other than Soapmaking Friend, I have found software primarily for Windows.

Can anyone suggest software which I am not yet aware of, specifically for Macs??

I am absolutely ok with paying a reasonable price, as long as the software is stable, is updated to take care of bugs that may come up, and of good quality according to other soap makers.

At the moment wishing I had a lot more coding skills than I currently do so that I could make this a reality.

Last edited:
Im with ya too, as a Mac user as well. I am currently leaning towards SMF as they are fairly new and quick to address feedback.

If you come across anything Mac friendly- plz post here.

Keep soaping 😎

I use a Mac and run the few Windows programs I need using Parallels. This program for your Mac creates a virtual Windows drive on your Mac’s hard drive. The switching between iOS and Windows is seamless and fast.

Right now, I use soapmaking friend, but I don’t sell. If I did, I would buy Soapmaker3 and use it with Parallels. SM3 charges a one-time purchase fee. The software downloads to your computer, so you don’t need an Internet connection or a monthly subscription to access your data. It is heavily used by handcrafters who report that it is stable and fairly easy to use. Again, I haven’t personally used it, but that would be the one I’d buy if I moved into selling. 😊

Accuracy issues can be addressed with the custom oil additions. You can specify fatty acid profile, SAP, Ins, and Iodine numbers.

Here's an example, below is my favorite oil to use. Notice the AAA in n the name to give prominence in the alphabetized order lol:
Screenshot_20230330-215830-456.png

I use a Mac and run the few Windows programs I need using Parallels. This program for your Mac creates a virtual Windows drive on your Mac’s hard drive. The switching between iOS and Windows is seamless and fast.

Right now, I use soapmaking friend, but I don’t sell. If I did, I would buy Soapmaker3 and use it with Parallels. SM3 charges a one-time purchase fee. The software downloads to your computer, so you don’t need an Internet connection or a monthly subscription to access your data. It is heavily used by handcrafters who report that it is stable and fairly easy to use. Again, I haven’t personally used it, but that would be the one I’d buy if I moved into selling. 😊

Yes, that is a big issue for me. I don't do subscriptions. I will only buy software. That's the primary reason I bailed on all Adobe products several years back for the graphic design part of my job. I now use only Affinity software for graphic design. All of their software is reasonably priced & regularly updated, and very good quality. I also don't have to be connected to the internet to use any of their software.

I left Windows behind years ago as well & don't miss having it as my primary OS. Too many problems with Microsoft, so not about to go back, or to install anything on my Mac in order to run Windows programs. So I suppose for now I am SOL :) unless I wish to learn a whole new programming language, which is at the rock bottom of my list of things to do at the moment.

So I suppose for now I am SOL
Maybe not. At least have a look at Soapmaker 3 for Mac
"Woody" Woodman, the wife of the Designer of SM3, was a soapmaker on the Hancrafted Soaps forum I joined in 2004. We watched it grow out of her request to her DH for something to track her business. It occurred to me that maybe you could chat with the designer (in Ontario, CA) to work out a method where it may be compatible with your Mac. If not, you'll know quickly if there's a remedy or not. :smallshrug: Just a thought.

Maybe not. At least have a look at Soapmaker 3 for Mac
"Woody" Woodman, the wife of the Designer of SM3, was a soapmaker on the Hancrafted Soaps forum I joined in 2004. We watched it grow out of her request to her DH for something to track her business. It occurred to me that maybe you could chat with the designer (in Ontario, CA) to work out a method where it may be compatible with your Mac. If not, you'll know quickly if there's a remedy or not. :smallshrug: Just a thought.

I didn't see Soapmaker 3 for Mac, only for Windows....or am I misunderstanding?

Yeah, you may be right. When I get a minute, I will get in touch with them & ask. Never hurts to ask, that's for sure.

Thanks so much for the suggestion, very much appreciated ❤️

I didn't see Soapmaker 3 for Mac, only for Windows....or am I misunderstanding?
To be honest, I don't have the brain for talking science or technology... I don't 'get' either one so I normally keep a low profile when it comes to that. 😁 The point I wanted to make is that the people around SM3 are our kind of people (down-to-earth soap makers) and might be willing to help you find a suitable solution to your query.. One can only hope.

To be honest, I don't have the brain for talking science or technology... I don't 'get' either one so I normally keep a low profile when it comes to that. 😁 The point I wanted to make is that the people around SM3 are our kind of people (down-to-earth soap makers) and might be willing to help you find a suitable solution to your query.. One can only hope.

No worries, I appreciate the suggestion nonetheless. Getting in touch with them is a good idea as they may be able to suggest something that might work for me, as well as others, which I'm happy to share :)

Something I should have thought of myself as I'm a big proponent of 'ask and I will receive', but I may not necessarily receive in the manner I expect or hope for. Keeping ourselves open to all alternatives & possibilities is the important thing.

Thanks again 😁

Back