Soap Maker Personalities

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cotton balls just feel ick. I hate using them. And I bandage a lot. A lot a lot because of a skin disease. The cotton the gauze is made of ugh. I have to just grin and bear it cause I can't have open wounds, but there are days where I am just fidgeting with the top layer of it cause I hate it touching my skin.

Polyester makes me itch. No getting around it. Even if I prewash. It has to a mostly cotton blend or with rayon or something else. Pure polyester and I look like I have bugs I'm dancing and itching so much. Same with tags if I don't get them to lay just right. I hate taking them out of my clothes because i try to resell them or donate them if I don't fit in them anymore. Can't do that with no tags. And since I've always been bigger I know how hard it is to find big clothes at donate places.

Microfiber towels feel like..not sandpaper. I don't wanna say that. But really really rough. I have them cause they're better for my electronics. But I HATE cleaning with them. I usually let my home health aid do it. And when I do I immediately clean and lotion my hands after. They almost feel chapped from using them.

Noises...fun story. My friends and I went to the zoo in Omaha. At the time they had an area that let you press buttons for different tones to see how you heard. I got trolled so bad. Because I heard the **** dog whistle and the bat tones and the low tones as well that electronics make. My friend, we're not friends anymore for multiple reasons, kept pressing the **** high pitched ones. I ended up with a migraine. Ruined the whole evening. He threatened to buy a do whistle when I complained about my head hurting. My best friend who was dating him at the time threatened to break up with him. He was more than a bit of a jerk.

One of @The_Phoenix 's non-entry soaps reminded me of yet another story. I went on a "fancy-pants-bell&whistles" Hawaiian vacation and when I arrived I insisted on a room that was as far away from the ocean as possible. I knew I wouldn't be able to handle the sound of the waves, because even in the hotel lobby they were giving me sensory override. Another clerk literally moved the current clerk aside because he wouldn't stop asking "why" and saying things like "Why would you come to Hawaii and want to be away from the ocean...yada, yada." No problem. Because of the first clerk's crassness the whole group of us scored free places, meals and drinks at that night's Luau, all without me saying a word. Sometimes it pays to be the weird one. Mai-tais for all my friends! 😁

Noises...fun story. My friends and I went to the zoo in Omaha. At the time they had an area that let you press buttons for different tones to see how you heard. I got trolled so bad. Because I heard the **** dog whistle and the bat tones and the low tones as well that electronics make. My friend, we're not friends anymore for multiple reasons, kept pressing the **** high pitched ones. I ended up with a migraine. Ruined the whole evening. He threatened to buy a do whistle when I complained about my head hurting. My best friend who was dating him at the time threatened to break up with him. He was more than a bit of a jerk.
I so understand the noise problem. There are stores I could not go into due to the security system noise, or (I work in aviation) aircraft I could not work on if the avionics were powered up. I can handle a quick power up but if someone is doing a full troubleshooting session, I am stuck working far away, usually outside.
It did come in handy when I was teaching. The teens were trying the "silent to old people" tone on the phones in class. Used to drive them nuts when I called them out on it. 😄
These days it is not as much of a problem. Being older and working in aviation has dulled my hearing a bit. Not as much as most of my co-workers though. I even got scolded at a hearing test to come back when I had real hearing loss. I noticed the difference but we didn't have a prior base line, and I scored better than everyone who worked at the Dr. office. :smallshrug:

I even got scolded at a hearing test to come back when I had real hearing loss. I noticed the difference but we didn't have a prior base line, and I scored better than everyone who worked at the Dr. office. :smallshrug:

I so get this. I have that with my optometrist. She'll ask me if I've noticed any change in my eyesight (I'm blind in one eye but the other has always been extremely good). I'll mention that I've noticed that my current glasses aren't as effective and she'll tell me at the end of my examination that my prescription has changed.... minutely, not enough to worry about. She's told me that because my eyesight was so good, I notice every little change more acutely. It's likely the same for you with your hearing.

I so understand the noise problem. There are stores I could not go into due to the security system noise, or (I work in aviation) aircraft I could not work on if the avionics were powered up. I can handle a quick power up but if someone is doing a full troubleshooting session, I am stuck working far away, usually outside.
It did come in handy when I was teaching. The teens were trying the "silent to old people" tone on the phones in class. Used to drive them nuts when I called them out on it. 😄
These days it is not as much of a problem. Being older and working in aviation has dulled my hearing a bit. Not as much as most of my co-workers though. I even got scolded at a hearing test to come back when I had real hearing loss. I noticed the difference but we didn't have a prior base line, and I scored better than everyone who worked at the Dr. office. :smallshrug:

I have exceptional hearing. We had a lady who was hard of hearing so she had her phone, in a hard case, on a wooden desk, on vibrate. It would drive me freaking nuts as it would just sit and rattle constantly. No one else in the office noticed, but it put my teeth on edge! I tried being nice about, then finally went out and bought a hand towel and put her phone on it.

I really have an issue with fleece fabric. That is to me the worst ever material. I was working in a clothes shop two years ago, and I had to touch jackets and such made out of fleece several times a day. Fleece is so awful that it does actually make my hands feel dirty or dusty afterwards. I do think they are actually getting dusty because of static electricity, so I believe it is not only a feeling. It goes away when I rinse or wash my hands, so yes, not only a feeling.
I can really not understand why fleece is so popular, even how hard I try. It is the most awful material ever invented.

Microfiber is allright in comparison to that disgusting polyester fleece. I don't really like microfiber, but I can touch it without problems. But it do remind me a little bit of fleece, so that's why I don't like it, I guess. On the other hand I do like cotton, wool and linen, and I love the feel of bamboo rayon.

Microfiber is allright in comparison to that disgusting polyester fleece. I don't really like microfiber, but I can touch it without problems. But it do remind me a little bit of fleece, so that's why I don't like it, I guess. On the other hand I do like cotton, wool and linen, and I love the feel of bamboo rayon.
Interesting... bamboo rayon is one of the worst for me, right up there with nylon. If I wear clothing made out of bamboo rayon, my skin can't breathe, I sweat profusely, and I feel suffocated. Fleece, on the other hand, usually doesn't bother me. Different strokes. :)

I saw this discussion and I thought I was nuts, at least others around me think I am nuts. I am so sensitive to bedding. I am like the princess in the princess the pea. I have to sleep on ultra soft smooth sheets and I don't mind paying for them. Same with a duvet. I am a burrower and I need soft and smooth around my face. I am like that with clothes too. I hate anything that isn't soft next to my skin.
And yes microfiber just feels wrong and weirdly spongy, but not in a good way. I can handle it dry but wet...........ugh.

Latest posts

Back