Soap made with Mountain Dew as the water , HP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsmar4211

Reaction score
Well, I decided to try it. Not sure I can get pictures to show so I'll do info post first.

I did not boil it or anything, just used the Throwback version as the water. Throwback has real sugar instead of corn syrup. I waited for it to flatten and used it at room temp (70 F right now). I fully expected a lye volcano...and I got one! When I added the lye, no issues at first....it did get some sediment at the bottom and turned brown. When I moved it to the safe area and stirred, after the third stir it expanded to 4x its volume in half a second flat!!! The pitcher has 8x the volume so no overflow-use a big pitcher for this! Turned dark brown and smelled BLECH. Worse than using coffee as water.

After mixing it into the oils (lard based recipe) the smell was much much better, almost a honey smell. The sugars carmelized I'm assuming from the color so it kinda was honey. No issues during the HP cook or pour at all. Soap is a dark brown color, will update after it cools down. I scented with lemongrass but the straight smell was similar to unscented oatmeal/honey soap.

Now to wait and see how it lathers!

Let us know how it lathers! Looking forward to the pics!

I'm glad you had the foresight to use a big pitcher. :thumbup:

IrishLass :)

Cool experiment! I had someone ask me to try a batch using root beer before, but I never got around to giving it a try. Please post pics! I'd love to hear about how your bars turn out.

Finally got my phone to give up the pictures I took! Except it won't rotate so stretch your neck :)

This is the lye pitcher. The boil up went to the top of the black part of the label-quite a distance and quite suddenly....

20160115_162002.jpg

Blechhhhhhh...after stick blending and starting to cook. Was only 2 lbs in the crockpot so the stickblender gave me bubble issues. Wasn't sure how it would act so I didn't do it in the small crock I usually use for 2 lb batches

duing-cook.jpg

The finished bar! I have some white spots and I have some oddball crystal areas. I suspect the oddball crystal areas are my lemongrass oil because they taste horrible but aren't a zap zap, and they're dark not light like lye usually is. These are just for me but if I was going to do it for real real I'd use a different FO. I've had lemongrass do that to me before on a HP batch..... The white areas are waxy and tasteless.

finished-bar.jpg

Bubbles! The lather is weird, keep in mind this is only a few hours old. It starts off big and fluffy the first two seconds and then goes all creamy....this is six seconds of rubbing hands together with only one application of water. More water and you probably wouldn't see my hand LOL. Will retest in a few weeks!

bubbles.jpg

You do not smell any of the Mountain Dew in the finished bar so it'd be hard to prove you actually used the Dew to make this :). Not sure if the swirly will even out, it might since it was worse yesterday. The freshly unmolded bar was soft (probably due to the high sugar) and would have made awesome playdough! Seems to be hardening normally.

The smell was BLEH when adding the lye as I said so test this one outside and keep your face awayyyyyyyyy (not to mention the volcano).

This was fun, not sure I'd make it again (and if I do, no lemongrass!) because there's not much call for it and I'd be chicken that pepsi would start knocking on my door ?

Cool experiment! We don`t have Mountain Dew here in Norway, so not sure what is is exactly, but since it contains sugar it is sort of a soda pop? We call that "brus" in norwegian, which means "fizz". (not that anyone asked...:p)

Cool experiment! We don`t have Mountain Dew here in Norway, so not sure what is is exactly, but since it contains sugar it is sort of a soda pop? We call that "brus" in norwegian, which means "fizz". (not that anyone asked...:p)

No worries and thanks. Here in NY, many of us look at Central NYers like they're crazy because they call soda 'pop' (don't get me started on the pronunciation of the word 'bagel'). My family is from the Southern states so I'm also used to people calling soda 'coke' like the brand.

Hehe... I routinely ask DH which kind of coke I should pick up from the grocery store. Sometimes I hear "Coke Coke" or sometimes "Root Beer".

That's a fun idea - I like the idea of trying to use some ginger beer. I think I'd treat it like beer though and try to get rid of the carbonation first though.

Hehe... I routinely ask DH which kind of coke I should pick up from the grocery store. Sometimes I hear "Coke Coke" or sometimes "Root Beer".

That's a fun idea - I like the idea of trying to use some ginger beer. I think I'd treat it like beer though and try to get rid of the carbonation first though.

Hehe, that`s men for ya! (Man rule #1: Lets not waste too many words here, you know what brand I want if I say the generic title twice in a row...)

No worries and thanks. Here in NY, many of us look at Central NYers like they're crazy because they call soda 'pop' (don't get me started on the pronunciation of the word 'bagel'). My family is from the Southern states so I'm also used to people calling soda 'coke' like the brand.

That`s language for you, words take on a different life altoghether!
How do they pronounce 'bagel' that is so different, btw?
Beagle?:think::mrgreen:
(Great, now I got an image in my head of an bagel-beagle with Lox and cream cheese spread all over its back, happily tripping down the street while it tries to lick its own back. Someone, PLEASE stop me. Even this smilie is embarassed by my silliness--->:silent:)

That`s language for you, words take on a different life altoghether!
How do they pronounce 'bagel' that is so different, btw?
Beagle?:think::mrgreen:
(Great, now I got an image in my head of an bagel-beagle with Lox and cream cheese spread all over its back, happily tripping down the street while it tries to lick its own back. Someone, PLEASE stop me. Even this smilie is embarassed by my silliness--->:silent:)

They pronounce it BAG-el with the short 'a' from 'bag'. It's hilarious but hey, my cousin's cousin picked up on my lack of a NYC drawl, for lack of better words (doggone N.Carolinians, lol).

Back