Soap lye heavy??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackofallShaves

Reaction score
Hey experts,

Relative newbie here, been making soap for a little over a year now and had my first soap making "issue". For some context, my shave soap recipe has 4 major ingredients and I use the HP method for my shaving soaps due to the high stearic acid content.

Here is what happened - I started the crock pot to melt all the "hard" oils and was supposed to add the final oil (Avocado Oil) before adding the lye, but forgot to do so. So I added the lye mixture to melted butters(3 out of 4 total oil in my recipe), did the usual mixing with spatula + hand blender and then realized that I had forgotten to add the Avocado Oil. 15 minutes had passed since I added the lye.

I decided to chance it and went ahead and added the avocado oil and mixed everything again and from this point onwards, I followed my usual soap making routine (1 hour 15 min cook + adding super fat/fragrance post cook).

I was kinda paranoid about the soap turning out to be lye heavy and must have zap tested this batch almost 6-7 times. I thought my soap was slightly "sour" tasting as compared to other cooks. Usually, I don't feel anything when doing a zap test, but this time around I did feel a very minor tingling sensation. Anyways, I let the soap cure for about a week and used it today to shave (patch tested before putting on my face). I did not feel any burning or irritation etc and the shave was quite luxurious I must say :D

Long story short - how does one know if the soap is lye heavy? Is it ok that I added the avocado oil 15 mins after having added the full lye mixture to only 3 base oils/butters?

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for your help!

Adding the oil a bit later was just fine since it had plenty of time to cook with the rest of the soap.

A zap is something you will know when you feel it - it is like an electric shock. Nothing you described sounds like that. Plus, the soap is working well, with no irritation, so it isn’t lye heavy.

Thanks for your response @AliOop , that makes me feel better. Yes, I had zero irritation while using the soap today.

I almost feel like making a 0.5 lb batch of soap and intentionally making it lye heavy so that I can experience a "zap" :p. I have never felt it in any of my batches thus far and based on my reading, it seems to be a black or white thing. As in, in a positive zap test, you REALLY feel the zap.

Latest posts

Back