Soap Layers Seperating

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tru4reele

Reaction score
Hey guys! Newbie here. So I really really hope I can salvage 2 loaves.

I use glycerin and also shea butter base melt and pour. I also added fragrance oil, sweet almond oil and a little glycerin to both bases.

For some reason or another two of my layers are separating. It’s like the layers didn’t adhere to each other or something.

Please help. I was so excited unmolding just to be defeated. What am I doing wrong?
57D85776-00DE-45CE-911F-54A697878BF8.jpeg

Welcome tru4reele!

Could you please elaborate a little more about your process (exact measurements of ingredients, how you mixed things, etc)? Those look pretty cool to me. What do you mean by separating? Are they falling apart? Or is it your mix-ins that are separating from your MP base?

Welcome tru4reele!

Could you please elaborate a little more about your process (exact measurements of ingredients, how you mixed things, etc)? Those look pretty cool to me. What do you mean by separating? Are they falling apart? Or is it your mix-ins that are separating from your MP base?

Hello. Do you see the bottom soap on the picture? Where the white is, it pretty much just snapped off right there. You can even feel it. Like there is a crack there throughout the soap and it just separates or snaps off.

My measurements:
2 tsp of fragrance oil per pound
2 tsp of sweet almond oil per pound
1 tsp of glycerin per pound

Yes, as @ResolvableOwl said, spray the poured soap generously with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, before pouring the next layer. I usually let the poured layer cool to about 90 F, spray generously, then pour my next layer. The pouring soap needs to be between 125 - 130 F.
I also found that I need to slice the soap with a very sharp knife or the force of pushing on the soap with a dull knife can push the layers apart.
As far as salvaging what you have made - in my experience you will have to re-melt and use that as one of the layers. I have had no luck in adhering layers once the soap has completely cooled.
Hope this helps.

I also added fragrance oil, sweet almond oil and a little glycerin to both bases.

For some reason or another two of my layers are separating. It’s like the layers didn’t adhere to each other or something.

M&P isn't in my wheelhouse much, but I do know that you need to spray the layers well with 99% IPA or they won't stick together.

And I'm not sure why you added more glycerin or SAO. M&P already has added glycerin, which is why it is prone to 'sweating and since M&P is already fully saponified, the added oil would break it down.

Also want to add that while volume measurements are fine for some things, you really should be using weighted measurements.

Back