Soap Lately......

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelMomma

Reaction score
These are a few of my soaps that I have done lately. Lots of fun for sure. My piping rose work needs more practice for sure! But it was fun anyway. The orange soap has the juice from our homegrown carrots as the lye liquid.

083.jpg

067.jpg

2013-12-17_13-01-31_444.jpg

Thanks.

The kind of sad part about the Citrus & Rose loaf.......

We built a really nice cutter that we can cut a whole loaf in one swoop. Hubby bought wires at a music store. Nickle coated thin guitar strings. It cuts like a dream! But by the 4 & 5 loaf there was some kind of reaction with the nickel on the wires. It didn't show right away on the soaps. But after about a week of curing there is this awful streaks which shows really badly on the white roses. I caught the problem and went and got replacement, plain steel guitar strings and re-strung my cutter. Sigh. I'm glad it was only 2 loaves that were affected. So now I am going to use both of those loves for embeds after they are trimmed (the other loaf was a small one). Maybe a quilted soap which I have been wanting to try anyway. I should take pics of the soaps that show it really clearly and post in the CP thread. I know a lot of people try making their own cutters so maybe it would be helpful to other people.

Amazing!!!! The rose really took my breath away. You did a great job with piping the flowers.

Homegrown carrots huh? I envy you! My dream is to have a small house surrounded with huge land where i can plant stuff :) some day.. Some day...

Great looking soap.

Thanks!

They are all really pretty. Your roses look good to me. I haven't even tried those yet. I did decorate cakes for 5+years but hated making roses.

Thank you. That's me exactly. I used to make tons of baked goods and sell them. I always would find a different way to decorate so I didn't have to do roses, lol! :smile:

Amazing!!!! The rose really took my breath away. You did a great job with piping the flowers.

Homegrown carrots huh? I envy you! My dream is to have a small house surrounded with huge land where i can plant stuff :) some day.. Some day...

Thanks! Yes, we do garden and have been only using organic fertilizers now. Using plants that we have grown ourselves is so much more economical than buying fruits/veggies to use in soaps.

Here are some pics of the carrots and what they ended up being like when used for the lye water. We planted multi colored carrots. They were peeled, sliced and put through the power blender. Then strained through a jelly bag. It didn't turn weird or over heat while adding the lye.

2013-12-26_16-31-42_920.jpg

2013-12-26_17-57-01_928.jpg

IMG_20131229_233152.jpg

That last picture you can see the carrot pulp, that was left after removing the juice, its in the zip bag that I am holding.

And also......the purple carrots are only purple on the skin. So when they are peeled, they just look orange.

Your string story is very sad. That one with the white roses was my favorite.

Can the streaks be shaved off the surface or wiped off or does it seem to go into the soap? I would hope it would just be on the topmost layer of the bar. That way, maybe you can save those bars. They're so pretty.

Beautiful soap! Those roses are lovely, too bad about the cutter though. Purple carrots! My garden club kids would love that. Where did you get them?

Nice soaps Moonshea!

I'm ok with what happened to the rose soap. I have mourned the loss and got over it, lol. I just chalk it up to a learning curve for making a soap cutter. They are going to make a great quilted soap. I will just make a new rose soap but make it better. I will color the roses just a bit. I will mark the mold so I can place the roses in the right place so I don't cut the rose right down the Middle :crazy::thumbup: And hopefully my roses will look a tad bit better.

Beautiful soap! Those roses are lovely, too bad about the cutter though. Purple carrots! My garden club kids would love that. Where did you get them?

I know for sure that Gurneys.com has them. They are listed as Rainbow Blend. But I'm pretty sure that last year I saw packs of them at place like Lowes' and Home Depot. Just as soon as they start putting their seed packs out just go and search all the varieties at every place you go. I love growing new and odd varieties.

Like Black radishes, Huge cabbage, White and Yellow Tomatoes. One of the best tasting tomatoes we grow is pretty ugly, the Brandywine (comes in a few different colors) and they can get HUGE!!

I know for sure that Gurneys.com has them. They are listed as Rainbow Blend. But I'm pretty sure that last year I saw packs of them at place like Lowes' and Home Depot. Just as soon as they start putting their seed packs out just go and search all the varieties at every place you go. I love growing new and odd varieties.

Like Black radishes, Huge cabbage, White and Yellow Tomatoes. One of the best tasting tomatoes we grow is pretty ugly, the Brandywine (comes in a few different colors) and they can get HUGE!!

Thanks! I'll check the website. We have yellow tomatoes growing now that volunteered themselves from last year's crop and they are great tasting. We have papaya that I made into soap and it turned out really nice. Love using my fresh veggies!

Thanks! I'll check the website. We have yellow tomatoes growing now that volunteered themselves from last year's crop and they are great tasting. We have papaya that I made into soap and it turned out really nice. Love using my fresh veggies!

We like the yellow ones too, super delicious! Last year we got a Rainbow mix of heirloom tomato seeds from Gurneys. It has the white, yellow, Brandywines and a few others that are all just great! Fresh veggies in soap is super fun, for sure!

Latest posts

Back