Soap Kitchen soap cutter problems

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CpnDouchette

Reaction score
So I ordered a soap cutter in the sale from soapkitchen. It looks like they've discontinued the line, probably because it's awful. The wire (which I pull through) doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the soap so no matter what I do, the bottom of my bars aren't cut and look really messy. I've tried elevating the bar but the problem persists.

Can you think of any modifications I can make that would make it more effective?

I've also attached (quite a poor) pic of the last batch - the bottom of the bar at the back shows the problem really clearly.

Attachments

• wooden-mould-and-cutter-navigation-image_500x375_1.jpg
    wooden-mould-and-cutter-navigation-image_500x375_1.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG-20210301-WA0001[1].jpeg
    IMG-20210301-WA0001[1].jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 34
Perhaps the saw kerf aka slot in the bottom board is not aligned properly with the wire. Is it possible to re-align the wire or enlarge the slot on the bottom board?
Perhaps you have a friend who is a carpenter or handyman who could lend some assistance. It looks like a simple fix, but the photo doesn't give enough detail of the cutter itself to get a clear picture on our end.

Have you tried elevating the entire cutter base?

My thought is that perhaps you need more room for your hands to maneuver the wire all the way down into the bottom cut groove (which apparently is called a saw kerf - who knew?). So if you put the cutter on top of something like a book, or block of wood, you'd have more room to push down on the wire.

I hope that makes sense - it's hard to describe but similar to the problem of trying to pour a larger pitcher of something directly over a table. It's easier if the bottom of the pitcher can be held off to the side of the table, so that the pour spout can lower down and closer to the receptacle. Same concept here, but you'd have to elevate the cutter since it's got two sides that need room below the edge for your hands to pull the wire all the way down.

That's assuming you are using one of those wire cutters with a handle on each end. If you are using a wire that is attached to the coping saw handle, then my only suggestion is to make sure that the wire is really tight. A loose wire could definitely cause the problem I'm seeing in your soap.

Interesting. I have tried slicing at the edge of my counter top so effectively bringing the wire lower than the base with no effect. I think you're right that by the time it gets to the bottom the wire isn't tight enough but I'm not sure how to fix that as its manual, like an old fashioned cheese wire.

Do you think it would help if I sliced in reverse, so from bottom up? I may try that next time

Latest posts

Back