Soap Issue?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MommaSoaper

Reaction score
Made this soap yesterday between 11-2. Put in the oven to gel. Just cut it and came across an issue. The soap is wet. FO or oils, unsure exactly. This soap also shouldn't be as soft as it is since I used sodium lactate, beeswax and kaolin clay. It has been less than 24 hours though so I may have been premature cutting. This was the first time adding 1 tablespoon of oil to 1 teaspoon of mica. Perhaps it's seeping excess oil? Does this soap stand a chance lol?!? -new soaper, 10th loaf to date.

Attachments

• IMG_20211001_092034003.jpg
    IMG_20211001_092034003.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20211001_091418997.jpg
    IMG_20211001_091418997.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20211001_091950754.jpg
    IMG_20211001_091950754.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 42
You didn't explain anything about your recipe or soap making method, so there's no way to give advice about either. But I'm going to assume the recipe and method are basically okay.

You mention you put the soap into the oven. My guess is the soap overheated a bit and that can cause the soap to weep. That happens sometimes. Leave the liquid on the soap and give the soap more time. The liquid should reabsorb and the soap should be fine.

If you explain your oven heating method, people might be able to give you tips how to refine it for the next batch.

I'd wouldn't second guess @DeeAnna advise' shes very knowledgeable. I agree your soap will be ok give it some time.
I know when I add any oil to color micas or water to suger I'll do a discount' or easier I just take from the water amount for soap & the same for oil when using in micas. a little here & there can add up fast & cause your soap to become softer then expected, especially if you have a SF in the range of 5% & above.
update: love your soap design & colors 🧼💫

Last edited:
I'm so sorry! I was sitting in the car dropping kids off at school when I wrote that so I didn't have the recipe. I've attached recipe for viewing. I appreciate the feedback for sure. This is the nicest most helpful community I've ever been a part of.

I think I know what I did wrong now. I calculated FO for 48oz oils not 43oz. I'm over .20oz.FO. Will these bars be usable do you think? 🤦

You didn't explain anything about your recipe or soap making method, so there's no way to give advice about either. But I'm going to assume the recipe and method are basically okay.

You mention you put the soap into the oven. My guess is the soap overheated a bit and that can cause the soap to weep. That happens sometimes. Leave the liquid on the soap and give the soap more time. The liquid should reabsorb and the soap should be fine.

If you explain your oven heating method, people might be able to give you tips how to refine it for the next batch.
I just now posted the recipe below. Sorry about that! Thank you for responding 😊

I'd wouldn't second guess @DeeAnna advise' shes very knowledgeable. I agree your soap will be ok give it some time.
I know when I add any oil to color micas or water to suger I'll do a discount' or easier I just take from the water amount for soap & the same for oil when using in micas. a little here & there can add up fast & cause your soap to become softer then expected, especially if you have a SF in the range of 5% & above.
update: love your soap design & colors 🧼💫
Perfect! I'll just use oils from recipe instead of adding extra oils. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• IMG_20211001_111214464.jpg
    IMG_20211001_111214464.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 41
I also use batch oils or water to mix additives when they are still warm usually. I like to think they mix better that way. 😁 Umm…. How much total FO did you put in. I for instance most always use 3% of my batch oil. So for you recipe I would use 1.3oz of FO (3% of 43 oz) Most FO safe usage is between 3-5%. But that is something to make note of from FO supplier. I wouldn’t think that the.20 oz extra wouldn’t make much of a difference.

Awesome soap! :thumbs:
In addition to simply give it time to reabsorb the oil, I would advise you to make sure when you add the oily mica that you stir for one full minute to get it thoroughly incorporated. I've noticed this issue with soapers who do a quick stir and then pour. :)

Gorgeous surface swirls! And nice color choices. It looks like it's going to be a beautiful soap.

What is the safe usage rate for that particular FO that you used? If you check that and recalculate your soap formula to include your actual amount of FO, then you will know if it's okay to use the soap. I see from that image that you didn't put the FO into the calculator in the first place, so perhaps you overlooked it & added it later.

A comment on your formula: With a lye concentration of 26%, you are using a lot of water, which is likely to contribute to a lot of soda ash on top of your lovely swirls. You can prevent soda ash and speed up how long it takes the soap to harden so you can remove from the mold and cut sooner, by reducing the amount of water in your formula. I would suggest at least 33% Lye Concentration to start, or higher (35% perhaps). Also, did you calculate the amount of SL in the total liquids?

I also use batch oils or water to mix additives when they are still warm usually. I like to think they mix better that way. 😁 Umm…. How much total FO did you put in. I for instance most always use 3% of my batch oil. So for you recipe I would use 1.3oz of FO (3% of 43 oz) Most FO safe usage is between 3-5%. But that is something to make note of from FO supplier. I wouldn’t think that the.20 oz extra wouldn’t make much of a difference.
I used FO with kaolin clay and let sit for awhile. When I measured out FO I kept thinking 48oz of oils because that's what I used the day before. This recipe was only 43oz. Used CC Apple Garland FO. Per the calc, I'm .20 oz over. The wetness has dissipated for the most part but the bars are still fairly soft. I'll see where they are at tomorrow. I appreciate your help.

Sorry about that. Had posted without the recipe handy. The wetness has been absorbed for the most part and the bars are starting to harden a little. Still soft but better. My oven process was basically 5 minutes at 170 and then oven turned off and light kept on. Believe I used .20oz over on the FO. I appreciate the feedback 😊

Hopefully it was just all absorb back in. It has for the most part already. The FO was CC Apple Garland. Bars are still soft and tops shiney from whatever hasn't absorbed back in. I like how BB gives you a range for FOs. I would feel more confident in this if CC had ranges. Maybe they do and I'm just still too new 🤦Thank you for being there!!!

Gorgeous surface swirls! And nice color choices. It looks like it's going to be a beautiful soap.

What is the safe usage rate for that particular FO that you used? If you check that and recalculate your soap formula to include your actual amount of FO, then you will know if it's okay to use the soap. I see from that image that you didn't put the FO into the calculator in the first place, so perhaps you overlooked it & added it later.

A comment on your formula: With a lye concentration of 26%, you are using a lot of water, which is likely to contribute to a lot of soda ash on top of your lovely swirls. You can prevent soda ash and speed up how long it takes the soap to harden so you can remove from the mold and cut sooner, by reducing the amount of water in your formula. I would suggest at least 33% Lye Concentration to start, or higher (35% perhaps). Also, did you calculate the amount of SL in the total liquids?
I'm .20oz over on FO. Not a ton per CC fragrance calc but still over sadly. I don't typically add my fragrance into the recipe on the computer. I do that separately for each fragrance in calc when measuring out all ingredients. This time I was thinking 48 and not 43oz of oils... Baby brain is real.

I will definitely try the 33% lye concentration you've suggested. Soda ash has occurred in the past but I've been trying to combat that by spraying with alcohol after pouring and then again 15 minutes later. However Id rather avoid soda ash all together so your way sounds best 🙂 I do calculate the SL beforehand. Don't want crumble soap 😭 thank you so much for your helpful advice!!!! Love this community 💓

I'm .20oz over on FO. Not a ton per CC fragrance calc but still over sadly. I don't typically add my fragrance into the recipe on the computer. I do that separately for each fragrance in calc when measuring out all ingredients. This time I was thinking 48 and not 43oz of oils... Baby brain is real.

I will definitely try the 33% lye concentration you've suggested. Soda ash has occurred in the past but I've been trying to combat that by spraying with alcohol after pouring and then again 15 minutes later. However Id rather avoid soda ash all together so your way sounds best 🙂 I do calculate the SL beforehand. Don't want crumble soap 😭 thank you so much for your helpful advice!!!! Love this community 💓
And thank you for the compliment on the soap. It means a lot. I'm trying every day to make a loaf and get better. Hopefully in the end, my soaps will all cure and my kids will all be clean :) ty

Back