Soap is greasy after one year!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayjay

Reaction score
I've been soaping for years now and I've seen my share of DOS. It's a greasy nasty mess. I currently have some soap that I made a year ago. It's very greasy. I
Can't figure out if this is a precursor to DOS or just a years worth of sweating and glycerin I'm feeling. So I thought I'd ask the experts on this forum what y'all think it is?

I live in the South and we just had the wettest most humid summer ever.

I can't remember how to post pictures (sorry). I don't see anything wrong with the soap though. No DOS. It smells nice. It just feels greasy. The soap I made a month ago has a greasy feel to it. I know that is due to sweating/glycerin. It's very humid here right now.

I'm just not so sure about this year-old soap. The greasy feel is definitely worse than my month-old soap.

I can't remember how to post pictures (sorry). I don't see anything wrong with the soap though. No DOS. It smells nice. It just feels greasy. The soap I made a month ago has a greasy feel to it. I know that is due to sweating/glycerin. It's very humid here right now.

I'm just not so sure about this year-old soap. The greasy feel is definitely worse than my month-old soap.

Go to quote
Scroll down to manage attachments
Upload your photo

Recipe might help too.

I finally saw what some of you in the south describe as sweating/condensation. I started soaping this past April and never saw any hint of it until this fall. It's during the change of seasons in the period up here when we don't use AC for cooling or the furnace to heat the house. During this time, our basement(where I store my soap) got quite humid. Many of my soaps started sweating. They get an oily type substance on the surfaces. Not sure if it's the soap reacting with the moisture, or something to do with the FOs. When I handle them, my hands kind of have a vinegar type smell. Now that we're in the heating season and humidity has dropped, it has gone away again. Strange

If you live in a humid area, try using a portable dehumidifier where you store your soap.

We had a very humid summer as well and I was amazed at how many of my soaps were sweating. I make only CP and many of them were slick and oily feeling. Some of them I just dried, some of them I rinsed to see what would happen. Anything that looked remotely like DOS got tossed. I had more suspicious soaps this summer (some were a few years old) than in the entirety of all my years soaping. Danged weather.

I live in the Caribbean, after learning how to cold-process soap in Northern California. I had to adjust my formula to avoid the sloppy, greasy mess in the first place. In the high-humidity, high-heat summers here, the soaps have to be in a dehumidified and preferably cooled area to cure, or else I get truly epic sweating.

We lose fragrance fast and I've found that if a fragrance has any inclination of discoloring, you bet I'm going to get it. Three-month cures are not an option here for a high-quality product, nor are they necessary for the soap sizes I'm making. You run with what you're given in the environment, I've found.

I had that happen when my soap had too much superfat - some of the lye had stuck to the bottom of the pitcher. I eye-balled it and mixed a little extra lye with some extra water, but the soap was still soft and greasy a year later. Does it smell okay? I shredded mine for confetti soap and it was fine.

Back