Soap is crumbling

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add just a little boiled (distilled/rain) water to help it melt ... if it's crumbly, the soap might need the extra moisture to kick off the melting (also, with a loose cover you'll lose moisture, so adding some will be beneficial).

Also, what temperature is it melting at?
Thank you, 250 Fahrenheit, I already added 4 oz whole milk. Hopefully it will help. I'll check it again in 20 min. Just checked it, it is almost done, going to check again in 20 min, should be done.

Last edited:
I made soap yesterday, forgot my FO. Anyways, I unmolded it today, was cutting it and it started to fall apart, Ugh. I think I need to stop making soap LOL. Here’s the formula:

Weight of oils: 50.50
Faux Sea Water: 11.91 oz
Lye: 7.00 oz
5% Castor: 2.33 oz
10% CO: 5.05 oz
85% OO Pomace: 42.93 oz
1T Kaolin Clay - added to cooled Lye water
2t SG - added to cooled Lye water

I used ZNSC formula. Water : Lye Ratio: 1.7:1 with no SF. Can anyone please tell me what I did wrong?View attachment 69917
My untrained eye says the salt water caused your crumbly bars. Maddening to omit your FO - I've done that, it's easy to do and to keep it top priority, I usually scoot the fo right up against whatever tools I absolutely have to use in my next steps in order not to forget.
I made soap yesterday, forgot my FO. Anyways, I unmolded it today, was cutting it and it started to fall apart, Ugh. I think I need to stop making soap LOL. Here’s the formula:

Weight of oils: 50.50
Faux Sea Water: 11.91 oz
Lye: 7.00 oz
5% Castor: 2.33 oz
10% CO: 5.05 oz
85% OO Pomace: 42.93 oz
1T Kaolin Clay - added to cooled Lye water
2t SG - added to cooled Lye water

I used ZNSC formula. Water : Lye Ratio: 1.7:1 with no SF. Can anyone please tell me what I did wrong?View attachment 69917

My untrained eye says the salt water caused your crumbly bars. Maddening to omit your FO - I've done that, it's easy to do and to keep it top priority, I usually scoot the fo right up against whatever tools I absolutely have to use in my next steps in order not to forget.

My ugly Rebatch, sure has a great scent now lol. After I poured and plopped it about I put it outside to cool. They are about 2.5 oz each. I think I'll make a new batch for my granddaughter and keep these for myself.
IMG_20221208_075835293_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Back