soap ingredients & pest control

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I discovered this week that some soap ingredients can be re-purposed. I have a darn squirrel that likes to dig in only one particular potted plant. I tried everything. And then I found out that squirrels don't like peppermint essential oil. Hmm, where could I get peppermint? Oh, I know!

And at work, where I manage a food pantry, I am always challenged by pesky and gross fruit flies. The most effective trap in my home is made with sliced lemons in vodka. But my employer, for some reason, has a policy about alcohol. So I decided to use my spray bottle of rubbing alcohol. It kills them even when I spray into the air. And if they've landed on a surface, the rubbing alcohol doesn't damage most surfaces. Who knew?

For my fellow Americans, have a safe and enjoyable Labor Day weekend!

Thanks for sharing that! Cotton balls with peppermint EO are wonderful for repelling ants. Makes the house smell nice, too.

We don't tend to get fruit flies where I live now, but in the past, my traps usually consisted of small bowls of diluted ACV. Covered them in plastic wrap with just a small opening left at one edge. Fruit flies dive right in and drown themselves, much like I would do in Willy Wonka's chocolate river if given the opportunity.

...But my employer, for some reason, has a policy about alcohol. So I decided to use my spray bottle of rubbing alcohol. It kills them even when I spray into the air. And if they've landed on a surface, the rubbing alcohol doesn't damage most surfaces. Who knew?

I have been using this trick ever since you shared it. The only time it doesn't work is when the fly escapes while I hunt for the bottle. I added a few essential oils to make it smell better.

Back