Soap in freezer need advise PLEASE

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwarren

Reaction score
OK.. I'm trying for first time not to gel 100% OO soap.. I just put in freezer ... How long do I leave it in there ? 7:40 pm

I usually leave mine in for about 2 hours and then into the fridge overnight.

Laurie

I had good results keeping mine in the fridge for the entire first 12 hours. I didn't freeze at all.

Let it come to room temp before cutting. Cutting cold made little cracks... :(
Cutting at room temp was no different from my ordinary gelled soaps.

When I made my 100% OO soap I used a 0% superfat and Olive Pomace and it was hard as a rock within 12 hours. After all I had heard about castille being soft and taking forever to cure I was really surprised. By melted butter do you mean completely liquid or just really soft? If your soap hasn't separated or anything crazy I would let it sit in the mold for as long as it takes to be able to get it out without making a mess of it. If it is still liquid then I don't know what to say, haven't had that problem before. I think I've had good luck because of the Olive Pomace, it comes to trace more quickly than reg OO.

it's like real soft butter.. this is my first time not gelling.. so I have no idea what to expect.. it hasn't seperated.. ( the batch I made same recipe I gelled it is fine )

LOL breathing and waiting here.. actually has thickend some more like pudding now.. ((( note to self, don't do that again )))

It's so frustrating when you are waiting to unmold something. I think part of it is that you probably need that darn mold for your next batch :lol: I broke down and got a few of the silicone molds so I always have an empty one :D

I actually have 3 2lb wooden molds my hubby made for me.. so that can just sit.. only thing is I'm leaving in 2 days for a visit back home.. it will just have to sit a couple weeks... (( how you like those silicone molds? they get better the more you use them?? ))

I put a batch in the freezer for 48 hours and STILL got gel :?

Oh well...

PrairieCraft said:
IwantItgreen said:
I'm wondering why you would not gel 100% OO soap? Thanks

Not gelling it gives you a very light almost white soap. Its darker when you gel it.
Gah, olive oil soaps take forever as it is - I'd never choose to not gel my regular 100% olive oil soaps. Have you been soaping long? And have you tried gelling versus not with regular OO or just the pomace? I've found that my 100% OO soaps always end up stark white. Pomace is never quite as white as regular olive oil soaps anyway, but not gelling helps some.

PrairieCraft said:
When I made my 100% OO soap I used a 0% superfat and Olive Pomace and it was hard as a rock within 12 hours. After all I had heard about castille being soft and taking forever to cure I was really surprised. By melted butter do you mean completely liquid or just really soft? If your soap hasn't separated or anything crazy I would let it sit in the mold for as long as it takes to be able to get it out without making a mess of it. If it is still liquid then I don't know what to say, haven't had that problem before. I think I've had good luck because of the Olive Pomace, it comes to trace more quickly than reg OO.

Pomace moves much faster than regular olive oil. (OT: why would you do a 0% superfat for an OO soap?).

Especially if you don't gel, and you used a fairly high amount of water, it can take days to harden up. Did I mention especially if you didn't gel? As long as you don't see a layer of liquid on top just let it be.

I made the batch for trying out the grated soap with pectin for liquid soap. I just figured no lye discount would give me more room to add other stuff to it.

I have not been soaping long at all. I did gel the batch of castille but I poured out a small amount to stick in the fridge to see what would happen if it didn't gel and it was almost bright white. The rest of my batch that was gelled was kind of dark.

Oh, and no I haven't tried using reg. OO yet, since pomace is cheaper. I wasn't really trying for a white bar with the ungelled bit, just experimenting to see what happens when....

PrairieCraft said:
I made the batch for trying out the grated soap with pectin for liquid soap. I just figured no lye discount would give me more room to add other stuff to it.

I have not been soaping long at all. I did gel the batch of castille but I poured out a small amount to stick in the fridge to see what would happen if it didn't gel and it was almost bright white. The rest of my batch that was gelled was kind of dark.

Oh, and no I haven't tried using reg. OO yet, since pomace is cheaper. I wasn't really trying for a white bar with the ungelled bit, just experimenting to see what happens when....
Thats why I'm making the soap -- for the shampoo experiment.. altho i did 5% superfat wdiscount water

I thought since this batch is unscented and uncolored that trying out what happens with no lye discount would be a good learning experience. I was sure that I would get zapped but no zap right after unmolding. Not even a faint tingle :D I'm easily amused :lol:

I haven't tried a water discount, how did that go? Did it do anything weird or different?

Latest posts

Back