Soap has no smell of fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbocrafter

Reaction score
I made a batch of CP soap & added fragrance oil. However, now that it is cured it has no smell so I'm assuming I didn't put enough fragrance oil in my recipe. Can I rebatch this and add more fragrance oil? Silly question but if I do rebatch it will it be smooth like it was when I first make it or will the soap have a different texture? I've never rebatched soap.

A lot depends on which FOs you used and how long it's been curing. And of course, how much you used!

It's actually quite common for the scent to disappear in the first couple weeks of cure, but eventually return!

Sometimes they end up morphing into something totally different.

And sometimes, unfortunately, they do disappear. This can happen with citrus FOs especially.

The best way to determine what might happen with a particular FO is check for reviews before buying it. If you buy it from Brambleberry, they also have a handy fragrance calculator that suggests how much to use.

I use most fragrance at 1 oz per lb of oil, but a few I use less. If you rebatch your soap wil turn out rustic looking, it will not be smooth like cp, and yes you can add in more fo. One advantage to hp or rebatch is it takes less fo oil to scent a batch. If you like your soap and it is not a large batch why not use it but make a new scented soap. You get practice and more soap :)

I made a batch of CP soap & added fragrance oil. However, now that it is cured it has no smell so I'm assuming I didn't put enough fragrance oil in my recipe.

How much did you happen to use ppo?

As toxicon implied- much depends on certain factors. It may be that you used enough, but the FO is just one of those lightweights that is too weak to last very long in soap, even when used at its recommended maximum usage rate. I tend to steer clear of buying such FOs if I can help it, thanks to the help of the few different scent review boards out there.

Basically, I try to refrain from buying any FO's that take any more than 1 oz ppo maximum to get a good lasting scent in my CP (as long as that amount is within its listed safe usage rate, that is). If it takes any more than that, it just becomes too expensive for me to want to use, especially when I've found there to be a slew of other FOs out there that have strong, lasting scents in CP even when used at 25% to 50% less than 1 oz ppo (and a few even less than that).

RE: rebatching. Ditto all that cmzaha said about it.

IrishLass :)

Back