soap has a white layer on it

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nineset

Reaction score
every batch I've made so far (5) has a sort of white or light colored film, on it. The bars have been coming out well and whatever it is i can lightly scrape it off with a credit card and it's fine after that. If any one can tell me what this is and how to avoid it I would greatly appreciate it. One of the soaps is water and the other 4 batches are milk based. The side that gets the film is the exposed side in the mold. Thanks

I get ash quite often and it turned out very good for my lavender colored, it looks like it has lace on it.
BlackRaspberryCream.jpg

Like Irean said..

Ash.

If I dont cover my soaps well, insulate them well. I will get Ash.

Try insulating them better and see..

But my question is this..

Do you still get Ash if your soap goes through the gel stage, or no?

I honestly need need to observe more of the process. How long does it take to gel. Kind of been set it forget it so to speak. I appreciate everyones advice. The last few batches weren't covered as the recipe I used said not to. Guess that's why experience is the best teacher!!!!! Did you swirl those lavender bars they look great.

Yes, I did a swirl and so I cleaned the ash off of a couple of them and then wished I didn't. LOL

I agree with the others... definitely ash. I've read in some of the soapmaking books and also heard from other soapers that adding honey to your recipe keeps ash from forming. I haven't tried it myself.

I have never heard of honey stopping Ash, but I know when I isolate my molds better and let the stop do what its suppose to do without distubing it (which is hard not to peek at).. I dont get ash.

I have only experienced it a few times. Most times I dont get it. I do believe it has something to do with the regulation of the temperature.

Nineset & S. when you guys get your TOG Molds, no more ash! I have never once had ash on any of my soap. I always use the wood top and gel every time, but never any ash. I kinda think it is because the wood is such a great insulator, plus my liner system helps insulate too. The wood top that is really a tight, secure fit, aids too in the prevention of ash. Now....back to the TOG Shop!

Paul.....I'm in the Tog House now! :wink:

How long to set?

How long do you let your soap set before you take it out of the mold? I've heard one day, two days, etc. Which is best, or does it depend on the ingredients?

Becky said:
I don't know that adding honey would stop ash from forming - I get ash on my oatbran, milk & honey soap.

Thanks for replying to that. I have never tried it myself and now I won't since it didn't work for you. Thanks so much :D I rarely get ash also and if I do get it, its a very thin thin layer so I just leave it and it doesn't seem to prevent people from wanting my soap.

How long do you let your soap set before you take it out of the mold? I've heard one day, two days, etc. Which is best, or does it depend on the ingredients?

I remove mine from the mold between 24-48 hours later and have never had a problem.

I remove my soap from my TOG Molds within 8 to 10 hours after pouring, and sometimes cut then, sometimes the next morning, always cutting within 24 hours of pour! I always gel my soaps too.

Paul... :wink:

Hey, you will definately notice the change in your soap. When you pour your batter, is is starting to thicken up and you can't see through it, sorta. When a soap hits gel stage, it has heated up and starting to look kinda transparent, like gel. It is very noticeable. This is the max saponification stage. A wood mold, like the one you are getting from me, holds the heat the best, and with the wood top all my TOG Molds have, gel always happens. Some people do not like their soap to gel, even putting it in the refrigerator to prevent it, especially with goat milk soaps. I embrace gel!~ :) I feel that a geled soap feels better than an ungeled soap. I feel that it speeds cure time up too. I just like a geled soap.

PS: Your TOG Triple Log/Slab Combo Mold W/Liners and wood top, the TOG 8 Wire Cutter, and TOG Beveler is shipping later today! Just wanted to let you know, M.

Paul....I'm in the TOG house now! :wink:

Back