Soap has a sticky feel

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nineset

Reaction score
If soap hasn't cured long enough is it possible to leave a sticky feel after rinsing? I only let it cure for about a week before trying it out (impatient)
I used e virgin olive oil v shortening and coconut oil in it. Thanks to anyone who responds

First off, welcome to our friendly home at The SMF! :D We are so glad you came across us and joined! We are a very friendly group, and the members here are the best! 8) Lots of help when you need it. Sit yourself down, grab a cup of "Joe" and let's talk soap and such!

Is the "sticky" feeling after you shower? After you have dried off? If so, it's just the glycerin pulling moisture to your skin, and doing what is is supposed to do. If this is not the case, let us know and we'll come up with an answer. There are several great CP soapers here that are great at helping answering your questions too.

Got your PM and Conversation at ETSY.COM and will call you. Any time better; morning, afternoon, night?
Thanks for your interest!

Paul.... :wink:

I am no CP expert, but doesn't olive oil make a soemwhat sticky/slimey bar of soap?

Tabitha said:
I am no CP expert, but doesn't olive oil make a soemwhat sticky/slimey bar of soap?

Yes Tab it does! Especially slimy or slick if a very high percentage of olive oil is used. I don't know how much OO verses CO verses shortening she used, but she may need to up the CO to at least 25%. If the percentage of the bar was OO, then after only a week worth of curing, it could be very slimy feeling. That is why I asked about when the sticky feeling was occurring, even though she said after showering, so that is why I thought about the glycerin pulling moisture out of the air, especially in the southern states.

Let it cure for a while longer. That may be the problem.

It could also be that your water is hard and the soap is not rinsing off well.

24oz olive oil 24oz C.oil 38oz V shortening Thanks for everyones response Soapmakerman evenings are best for me The water used was filtered don't know if that makes a difference

soapbuddy it seems based off of calc that the superfat was 8% Used recipe out of book Truly a newbie. Also what is specific gravity

Your superfat is a little high too. Try 5% next time, as this is the most common SF amount used today for a general batch of everyday soap.
Nice talking on the phone with you this morning! I'll get you that recipe we were speaking about. Thanks!

Back