Soap gremlins!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanguine

Reaction score
Hii all!
It's been a while since I posted any pics of my soap, mainly because I want to learn how to take those pretty pictures first. But looking at my photography skills, well, I'd say, don't hold your breath...
I joined the soap challenge club with the holly swirl, and the gremlins found me...
Scents that first behaved like a dream now turned into little monsters.
1 soap I don't even dare to show. The fragrance made the soap go hard in an instance and when I wanted to unmold it, the lining refused to come of :crazy:. After a lot of shaving they now look like little gravestones, not kidding, it has the bow and everything. My third attempt (did 4), it looked so great but the swirl part didn't make it. The 4th also looked promising, tried a drop swirl with that and I think I crossed the swirl part to much creating fine lines of color. I made an e.o blend to add, so I brought my soap to light trace and want to grab my fragrance... It was everywhere! The blend (gremlins) ate through 3 layers of plastic! (o.o) Never had that happen before...
In the end the first attempt will make it, but I don't know if I can post it before the start of the challenge.

Attempt 1: still hiding
Attempt 2: hiding in shame
Attempt 3:

foto.JPG by Ileandra, on Flickr

Attempt 4:

Picture didn't show it right, the background is more green then white.

Thing is this challenge made me doubt every single thing. I can't see a good thing in anything. When I see those beautifull soaps that entered before, or that are just floating around on the internet or the forums, mine seem to miss a few things... Ah we'll see how everything works out. From now on I'm gonna be all (pretend) zen.

Thank you! Makes me a bit more confident.
When you have a lot of soap (read: enough to keep a family clean for some years), family starts to comment to not spend so much money on it ( I like my butters and oils) and it's like every soap has to be a picture perfect to make it "worth it". I'm pretty sensitive when it comes to what people say to/about me.

For lining I used something that's called, literal translation, sandwich paper. It's like parchment paper but not as greasy. I've used it before without a problem but I think I'd stick with parchment paper until my acrylic molds arrive. I've seen freezer paper as lining before. I'd like to use it but you can't get it here.

very pretty! and the colors are so nice & clear...it would be hard to pick a favorite, but i'd have to say #1, since it reminds me of the shoreline, too and I love the nice strong blue against the very white bar. nice job!

You may not be happy but I think both are lovely. I agree the first one does look like a beach - sand and water. I particularly like #2 because of the swirls with the soft purple, greenish aqua and yellow colors. :thumbup:

Your soaps are awesome! Stop doubting yourself. If you are doing the challenge, I would say #2 comes closest to it...But they both look great. BTW...I don't have gremlins...I have DEMONS!!!

Lovely soaps!

Try taking pictures outside. Natural light does wonders and really improved my soap photography. Get a large sheet of kraft paper (I got mine at http://handmade-paper.us/ which has been down for a while *sob*) for the backdrop.

Your soaps are beautiful!! I don't see what you see is wrong with them. Your colors are perfect, your swirls inside and on top are perfect. I only see PRETTY!

that first photo is amazing, I don't know what you are talking about "photo skills" Your photography is very nice!

What is a holly swirl?

Your soap pics are awesome at least so far. Mine suck so bad and even after years of practice- they still suck. LOL

Your soap looks nice.
A piece of advice: Until you get to know the fragrances you are using, if you have a soap start to clench up on you and go funky- throw it into a stainless steel pot and throw it into your oven at about 180 and cook it covered for 90 minutes. It may not be the pretty CP you envisioned but will be a nice bubbly HP soap in the end.

Latest posts

Back