Soap going rancid and I cannot figure out why.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. If I were you, @Jen74 I wouldn't waste any time getting in touch with Soapers Choice... the sooner the better. :)

You can copy and paste the URL to this thread in an email to them. I'll be anxious to hear how they respond.
SC won't admit it but if you look here or elsewhere there are threads about getting coconut that had some other liquid oil in it (tank wash), avocado that wasn't all avocado, and, to my own sorrow, palm that was so adulterated it wasn't liquid at 110°.

I went round and round with them, they called me a liar even though I furnished them with photos and lot #'s. The credit card company agreed with me.

And the pail of palm from another supplier that came in that same heat wave that week was entirely liquid.

I'll say this: it isn't necessarily on purpose; I have no particular reason to think it is.
But even stupid mistakes from suppliers are costly and I spend my money elsewhere now.

And in any event it's smart to double check the quality of all our ingredients, wherever we get them.

Have you tried palm oil from a different source? Soapers Choice has been caught several times selling adulterated oils, incuding palm oil.

Too, I've found palm shortening goes weird faster than plain rbd.
I used Palm Shortening which I purchased in 50lb cubes and never had it go rancid, although I never purchased it from Soapers Choice. Mine came from my local Smart & Final.

I used Palm Shortening which I purchased in 50lb cubes and never had it go rancid, although I never purchased it from Soapers Choice. Mine came from my local Smart & Final.
The palm shortening I tried came from a grocery chain too but not S&F. Never tried SC's.
It wasn't adulterated I don't think, just not as nice as plain ole RBD, to me.

@Vicki C thank you for catching my math error! 😫 This is exactly why i generally don’t venture far into trying to explain calculations like this. Good thing you are here to clean up my messy and incorrect attempt at that!
Ha not at ll - I looked at your post and thought oh nuts, I’m not adding enough, and then I had to ponder for a while (and read Soapy Stuff) and then I realized I was ok. Maybe. Or Maybe I’m adding too much.

:thumbs: Same here! 😅
I’m no mathematician but I get .05% as being 1/2 of 1%
So, half of 1% would be 0.5%. 0.05% is one tenth of that amount - the decimal point is pushed one place to the left. 1% is one one hundredth or 1/100. 0.1% is one one thousandth or 1/1000. 0.05% is half of one thousandth.
It gets confusing because percentages are already moving the decimal point. Another way to say 0.05% is that the recommended amount is 0.0005 x total oils. So if you have 1000 g of oils, you would use 0.0005 x 1000 = 0.5 grams of ROE.
Does that help?

I soaped for years before I started getting DOS about 4 years ago. I only make a few batches a year now but I've had to throw many out so I changed a few things.
I originally replaced OO with safflower but have now went back to OO. I had been using the same cheap plastic mixing bowls forever, tossed them and got new ones. started using bottled water instead of tap and got all new oils. I'm also running my molds through the dishwasher.

Its been about three weeks since I made my first test batch with all this new stuff and so far, the bars look and smell great. Of course if this fixes the issue I won't know what the culprit truly was but I didn't want to risk wasting supplies slowly testing one thing at a time.

So, half of 1% would be 0.5%. 0.05% is one tenth of that amount - the decimal point is pushed one place to the left. 1% is one one hundredth or 1/100. 0.1% is one one thousandth or 1/1000. 0.05% is half of one thousandth.
It gets confusing because percentages are already moving the decimal point. Another way to say 0.05% is that the recommended amount is 0.0005 x total oils. So if you have 1000 g of oils, you would use 0.0005 x 1000 = 0.5 grams of ROE.
Does that help?
I stand corrected.

To make it simple 1/2 of 1% is 1/100 divided x 2 = .005
I was going to post that earlier today but percentages have never been my strong point. I have memories of my Dad trying to coach me in percentages and me in tears. Then, many years later, my husband found this website:

https://percentagecalculator.net
I hate to admit it but I use it a LOT more than I should.

I was going to post that earlier today but percentages have never been my strong point. I have memories of my Dad trying to coach me in percentages and me in tears. Then, many years later, my husband found this website:

It was really bugging me that I got it wrong. I asked my husband who got a distinction at Uni for maths, he’s an engineer. Of course he knew the answer without thinking about it. I usually run any maths questions past him. I can normally work out percentages and fractions without help, but clearly I’m not as capable as I thought.

It was really bugging me that I got it wrong. I asked my husband who got a distinction at Uni for maths, he’s an engineer. Of course he knew the answer without thinking about it. I usually run any maths questions past him. I can normally work out percentages and fractions without help, but clearly I’m not as capable as I thought.
I wasn’t trying to make you feel that way, I hope I didn’t. Truly I was scratching my head thinking I had been not using enough ROE and had to think it through.
I have a weakness in basic arithmetic - like if I have to subtract large numbers I am likely to make mistakes. Not just in my head, with paper even. So I use my phone calculator because I have made too many simple errors that have cost me. 😑
ETA not long after writing this I started making bagels, decided to make 1.5 times the usual amount. So, in my head, I decided (incorrectly) that the water required would be 255g*1.5 or 255g+ (about) 175g. The dough was too runny and… one head slap later… I remembered I am terrible at arithmetic.
All good. Bagel dough has been fixed. 🥯 😊👍

Last edited:
I wasn’t trying to make you feel that way, I hope I didn’t. Truly I was scratching my head thinking I had been not using enough ROE and had to think it through.
I have a weakness in basic arithmetic - like if I have to subtract large numbers I am likely to make mistakes. Not just in my head, with paper even. So I use my phone calculator because I have made too many simple errors that have cost me. 😑
No you don’t need to apologise, it was a good thing, it made me use my brain. I hope you’ve solved your rancid problem, which, after all was what this post was about, not maths.

No you don’t need to apologise, it was a good thing, it made me use my brain. I hope you’ve solved your rancid problem, which, after all was what this post was about, not maths.
Yes this got off track! Actually not my rancidity problem and not my thread - I just perked up when ROE was being discussed. It does make a huge difference for rancidity.

Bookmarking that calculator right now!

I usually make the HP soap
You could try making the soap cold process and see if it still goes rancid or if there's a difference in quality.

So if you have 1000 g of oils, you would use 0.0005 x 1000 = 0.5 grams of ROE.
Just a quick question about this. If i was to use ROE in 100g of lip balm instead of vitamin E, how much would i use? At the moment, im using 2 drops, so not sure if that's even too much, or should just use 1 drop.

Just a quick question about this. If i was to use ROE in 100g of lip balm instead of vitamin E, how much would i use? At the moment, im using 2 drops, so not sure if that's even too much, or should just use 1 drop.
How much does a drop of ROE weigh?

When you are working with such small numbers, knowing your drop weight is useful

0.5% of ROE in a 100g batch (the suggested amount above, I don't use ROE anymore) is 0.5 grams

Back