Soap Gelled in pot after adding essential oil blend

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demi_337

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and excited to have an account! I'm writing because I was making a cold process soap and as soon as I added my essential oil blend into my batter it started overheating and seizing. My oil blend was clove, patchouli, ylang ylang, and jasmine. Reading up on my mistakes after the fact I now know that I soaped too hot, addded my essential oils during trace and not into the oils, and florals and spices often accelerate trace anyway. What I'm wondering now is exactly what happened and if I should rebatch or hot process? Is it safe to use? For some reason my picture won't show up but it looked like lanolin in a pot very gel like and thick also had some harder mashed potato looking chunks.

Here’s the picture after I got it in the mold

Attachments

• F9DD0BF5-3D77-4588-8B04-B2BE4ABD4FDD.jpeg
    F9DD0BF5-3D77-4588-8B04-B2BE4ABD4FDD.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 12
You probably added your EOs at the correct moment considering you were using a whole herd of temperamental EOs. I add fragrance to the oils when I'm using well behaved scents, but I add fragrance to the soap batter at emulsion when I'm pretty sure they are going to give me a rodeo ride.

I'd let the soap finish saponifying. Cut it when it's firm enough and see what the center of the bars look like. If they look fine, that's great. If there are weepy pockets or other problems, then worry about what to do at that point.

The zap test is the proof of whether the soap is safe or not -- no one can tell you this without testing.

I learned a long time ago to never judge a batch of soap while it's still in the mold. It often looks far worse than it is -- it might well turn out fine.

You probably added your EOs at the correct moment considering you were using a whole herd of temperamental EOs. I add fragrance to the oils when I'm using well behaved scents, but I add fragrance to the soap batter at emulsion when I'm pretty sure they are going to give me a rodeo ride.

I'd let the soap finish saponifying. Cut it when it's firm enough and see what the center of the bars look like. If they look fine, that's great. If there are weepy pockets or other problems, then worry about what to do at that point.

The zap test is the proof of whether the soap is safe or not -- no one can tell you this without testing.

I learned a long time ago to never judge a batch of soap while it's still in the mold. It often looks far worse than it is -- it might well turn out fine.
Thank you so much you are very helpful!

Back