Soap fragrance help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyjode

Reaction score
I have been making cold process soap for about a year. I still struggle with strong smelling soap. I want very fragrant soap and wonder if anyone has any tips. I do add kaolin clay to all my soap but possibly not enough. Would appreciate any advice.

It's good to get a reference from other people around fragrance. Often you can become 'fragrance blind' if you are working with it all the time. And also we are all different in our olfactory perceptions - what is strong to me (white tea for example) is barely perceptible by my sister.
Also - are you using fragrance oils (specifically made for soap making) or essential oils? Some essential oils just will not hold in CP soap. They get eaten up by the lye monster. If you are using FOs it pays to read all the reviews before purchase and make sure people say it performs well, and holds well.
As a rule - citrus scents never come across as strong. Patchouli lasts and lasts - it really depends son the type of scent you use.
Are you using enough? I add approx 35g to 1000g of oils. When I first started I was not adding enough. Remember to check usage guidelines though.
Using kaolin clay is often cited as a method to 'anchor' scents and I don't know whether this works or not (I've never tried it). I think if you have a scent that won't hold - then nothing will make it hold.

Do you use essential oils or fragrance oils or both? Welcome!
Fragrance oils

It's good to get a reference from other people around fragrance. Often you can become 'fragrance blind' if you are working with it all the time. And also we are all different in our olfactory perceptions - what is strong to me (white tea for example) is barely perceptible by my sister.
Also - are you using fragrance oils (specifically made for soap making) or essential oils? Some essential oils just will not hold in CP soap. They get eaten up by the lye monster. If you are using FOs it pays to read all the reviews before purchase and make sure people say it performs well, and holds well.
As a rule - citrus scents never come across as strong. Patchouli lasts and lasts - it really depends son the type of scent you use.
Are you using enough? I add approx 35g to 1000g of oils. When I first started I was not adding enough. Remember to check usage guidelines though.
Using kaolin clay is often cited as a method to 'anchor' scents and I don't know whether this works or not (I've never tried it). I think if you have a scent that won't hold - then nothing will make it hold.
Thanks. I use 60g for 1000g of oil. And yes I could lose my scent smell.

Latest posts

Back