Soap Forming a Shiny Thin Layer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotus

Reaction score
My last batch of soap hardened much faster than I expected. But, it seemed to form a shiny film layer on the top and bottom of my soap. I trimmed it off of each bar, just now, and what's underneath is perfect and soap-like.

But, does anyone know about the shiny layer? It just doesn't feel pretty. I wish I could describe it. Like a layer of Fondant, covering the moist cake inside. Or the gummy layer that covers a bowl of Cream of Wheat when you haven't touched it for awhile. Very glossy, and harder than the rest of the soap.

Please let me know, if this is a sign of inferiority in any way.

ETA: This is only on my main mold which gelled. For my single-bar mold, which obviously did not gel, it is a beautiful perfect bar with no shiny cover.

Last edited:
This could be a layer of glycerin. Did you test the soap for zap?

http://www.soap-body-and-spa.com/Cold-Process-Soap-Troubleshooting.html

I did test the soap for zap. It tested fine. I think a better way to describe it, is it has a hard skin on the top. Slippery and plasticky. : ) It has to have to do with the gel phase, since my ungelled soap is perfectly beautiful. But, in the past, it was a lot easier to not gel my soaps, because I, 1.) used smaller molds, and 2.) I used to hand stir, so the process would continue to go much more slowly. . . or something like that. So, I'm wondering, maybe it's common of gelled soaps? But, I don't think so, because there's no way that every handmade bar of soap I've ever bought doesn't have a hard skin surface. Anyway. I'll play around and see what I can find. Maybe I can write into that person at that link and see if they know the answer. I think the soap is fine, just why SO hard?

I gel all of my soaps except milk soaps and have never had that happen to me so I don't really know what happened. Sorry!

Thank you so much Isg! I appreciate at least having a mind to talk to about it. Okay, then. : )

Lotus, can you post a pick?

Was this the first soap you have gelled? If so, maybe it is just that it did gel.

Gelled soaps do get harder and kind of shiny on top, where as ungelled don't get that same appearance on top.

At any rate, a pic may help others to see just what you are trying to describe.

It's my first full gel, that last one did the same thing, but to a lesser extent, so it didn't seem like that big of a deal. But, this one is SO shiny and smooth, I just wasn't sure if it was a bad thing.

Do they usually get harder and shiny on top? Well, if so that would be the answer to my question (I would assume). I'm probably just paranoid. : )

Here's the best picture I have before I had cut it off.

photo-231_2.JPG

I've had that on my soaps. I'm not sure what it is but I think it may just be oxidation. As long as its fine underneath you should be okay.

Did you have plastic wrap on top of it? If I cover mine w/ plastic wrap and it touches it in any spot.... I get that shiny, plasticky look.

Did you have plastic wrap on top of it? If I cover mine w/ plastic wrap and it touches it in any spot.... I get that shiny, plasticky look.

Oh!! Eureka!!

This batch I just made, I managed to keep the plastic wrap from touching it. That must be it. The silicone must have that effect a little too, I imagine.

Back