Soap for teeth

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
regarding baking soda being abrasive i had always heard that too. but, i then came across info that compared the abrasiveness of baking soda and leading toothpastes and the baking soda was much less abrasive than the leading toothpastes. here's a link.

Interesting. Baking soda feels more abrasive than regular toothpaste to me. Maybe the concentration makes a difference. Thanks for the link.

300 gr Coconut Oil
150 gr Baking Soda
4 packs Zylitol

Why soap?
My teeth was super-sensitive. Every Dentist / Hygienist I spoke with said to use Sensodyne. Didn't help. So I made this recipe and immediately the sensitivity was gone. Add a little Peppermint if you want.
This is basically what i do. I don't use the xylitol, but i've been doing it for 4 years and i'll never go back. i must say i'm interested to maybe grate bit of soap into it as well. see if makes a difference.
regarding baking soda being abrasive i had always heard that too. but, i then came across info that compared the abrasiveness of baking soda and leading toothpastes and the baking soda was much less abrasive than the leading toothpastes. here's a link.

I read some different pages on this also. I was happy to find the same results. which seemed to be there are top toothpastes that are harsher. I did however go from using a tooth "powder" that was a bit harsh on my gums to diluting the baking soda into coconut oil and its so much more gentle!!!

Interesting. Baking soda feels more abrasive than regular toothpaste to me. Maybe the concentration makes a difference. Thanks for the link.
the brand of baking soda might make a difference. i use bob's red mill baking soda which has a finer grind than arm & hammer.

let us know how you like the tooth soap if you make it. :)

Hey, one more question. Are there any opinions about the optimal size of the bars? Are small bars bette? Or large bars?

I make these; I think they're about 1 oz each (it's been a while). The bar I'm using right now, I've been using for about 4 months and I'm only half way through it. I have enough to last me for a few years!

ACDental.jpg

I make these; I think they're about 1 oz each (it's been a while). The bar I'm using right now, I've been using for about 4 months and I'm only half way through it. I have enough to last me for a few years!

Gorgeous soaps!

I been using my soap for months now. My tongue is porous and was white. I did not like that. No matter how much toothpaste I used and how many time per day I would brush I still had a white tongue. I had some soap samples that had no essential oil and it was just a basic recipe, co, oo, castor,soy...just basic. I decided to brush my teeth and tongue. My tongue is pink and my teeth look whiter. I think plain soap is good. The other thing is that i believe toothpaste cause tonsil stones. I was reading that tonsils have some thing to do with filtering and cleaning. If toothpaste wasnt cleaning my teeth, then my tonsil werent either.:mrgreen:

There is no blue... it's charcoal.

They sure look blue in the picture. What is your recipe? Just wondering how it comes out blue with AC. Also curious about this whole thing.

I've been following the Zellie system for a few years and am pretty happy with it, however it tends to be a lot of stuff to keep on hand and to carry with me when I travel. Closys is pretty expensive, too. I do have to admit I've actually stopped using the xylitol part of the system because I am just not a fan of 'sweet' but I still have an entire bag or even 2 bags of it in my cupboard.

So I am thinking of trying this out at some point. It would be less cumbersome to travel with 1 small bit of tooth soap than 3 bottles of mouthwash liquids plus a tube of toothpaste.

They sure look blue in the picture. What is your recipe? Just wondering how it comes out blue with AC. Also curious about this whole thing.

It's just the picture. On my screen, it looks black. In reality, they're a dark grey because of the charcoal I used.

My recipe:

10% Cocoa Butter
30% Olive Oil
30% Palm Kernel Oil
30% Peanut Oil

3% superfat
40% lye concentration

To this, I added some honey, a crushed Tums tablet, and activated charcoal.

Removal of Glycerin

I was hell bent on removing glycerin from my soap before making the tooth soap and there isn't a lot of information on how to do that. Glycerin is a natural byproduct of making soap and I wanted to remove it because I read some information about how glycerin may not be good for tooth enamel. I'm not sure this is the case but I did remove it as best I could and if you want to see how I did that you can take a look here.

I was hell bent on removing glycerin from my soap before making the tooth soap and there isn't a lot of information on how to do that. Glycerin is a natural byproduct of making soap and I wanted to remove it because I read some information about how glycerin may not be good for tooth enamel. I'm not sure this is the case but I did remove it as best I could and if you want to see how I did that you can take a look here.

Salting out soap has been discussed on this forum several times. However, I don't think the members here that have used tooth soap have had concerns of the glycerine.

Welcome Edstewbob! :wave: I invite you to pop on over to our Introduction section and tell us more about yourself and your soapy endeavors.

Thank you for sharing with us your pictorial on how you remove glycerin from your handmade soap, and how you go about making your tooth soap from it. Like Shari said above, we've several salting-out discussions/tutorials on the forum, but it's always nice to have pictures.

Speaking only for myself, I'm pretty skeptical about the whole glycerin/tooth theory roaming about the net that says that it prevents re-mineralization, or that it supposedly takes 27 washes to remove glycerin (which is water soluble) from teeth. The reason for my skepticism stems not only from glycerin's solubility, but from the folks I know who have been making and using their own lye-based tooth soap for years (with the glycerin still intact) and who have reported improved dental health, including instances of re-mineralization. Although I know such testimonials are purely anecdotal at best since other things such as diet, etc... play a part, too, that just goes to show that the glycerin/tooth theory is most likely not all it's cracked up to be.

IrishLass :)

My only fear with tooth soap is that it is lacking fluoride. Fluoride really does help prevent cavities.

If you live in a city that has water treatment you don't have too much to worry about because the water is likely fluorinated there. However, if you drink well water or only drink bottled water, you're going to need to do some fluoride rinses to keep tooth enamel strong. Some people have naturally stronger teeth that won't need the fluoride. You also might not see a difference for years since it can take a long time for enamel to wear down and cavities to form.

A fluoride rinse at some point in the day along with tooth soap might work very well together. Maybe you can even make it into a thick paste from liquid soap.

I wonder if potassium based soap might help with sensitivity since the salt they add to sensitive toothpastes is potassium nitrate. I don't know if it's the the compound itself that helps or if it's just the potassium component. Off to look it up!

It's just the picture. On my screen, it looks black. In reality, they're a dark grey because of the charcoal I used.

My recipe:

10% Cocoa Butter
30% Olive Oil
30% Palm Kernel Oil
30% Peanut Oil

3% superfat
40% lye concentration

To this, I added some honey, a crushed Tums tablet, and activated charcoal.
The AC is a detoxifier, it cleans pores deep down; I have heard too that it whitens teeth. I like the idea of detoxifying my mouth better then alcohol. I show sodium hydroxide as an ingredient in toothpaste. Why do you use Tums tablets?

The AC is a detoxifier, it cleans pores deep down; I have heard too that it whitens teeth. I like the idea of detoxifying my mouth better then alcohol. I show sodium hydroxide as an ingredient in toothpaste. Why do you use Tums tablets?

Tums contain calcium carbonate, something I'd come across in researching tooth soap recipes.

Latest posts

Back