Soap for teeth

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think for travel, toothpaste will be more convenient than liquid or bar soap.

Funny, that. I was actually partly interested in making tooth soap because I thought it would be more convenient while traveling. I tend to run out of toothpaste while traveling quite a lot, and I just won't buy those little travel size tubes because, 1. too expensive, 2. not enough toothpaste to last a whole trip. But the large tubes I buy for at home are way too big to fit in my ditty bag.

So I made my tooth soap bars in very small sizes. I have even thought of cutting one down to fit into a more compact sized container, to test out my theory on my upcoming trip.

Now that the tooth soaps have cured, I have a couple follow-up questions for those who made some:
1. What is your method for using the soap?
2. Have you noticed any difference from your "regular" routine?
3. Do the kids look at you funny? :D

Now that the tooth soaps have cured, I have a couple follow-up questions for those who made some:
1. What is your method for using the soap?
2. Have you noticed any difference from your "regular" routine?
3. Do the kids look at you funny? :D

1. I rub my wet toothbrush over the top surface of the soap to get a grey lather, then brush.
2. No difference in my regular routine
3. No kids to look at me.

But, one day my husband came home from the local library and told me while reading historical documents on our town and its past (this is the town where his family settled generations ago), he discovered the following:

In a history book written about our county a 'toothpaste' made with Castile soap and activated charcoal was mentioned. He told me about it because I make soap and he had never heard of brushing teeth with soap. I guess I didn't tell him I made tooth soap, which surprised me a little bit. But then, we rarely brush our teeth together and he may not have noticed me using it last time we traveled together. At home we use different bathrooms for the most part, so he has his own toothpaste, which he replaces when needed (we did not use the same type and brand of toothpaste anyway.)

So I told him about the tooth soap I made and now use. I only started using it on a daily basis a few weeks ago after using up all of my tube of Crest. He asked a bit about it, so I showed him how I use it and that the foam is grey and looks a little different. He asked how it tastes, to which I replied, not the same as toothpaste. A bit like soap, but not a bad taste. I told him about the ingredients in the soap, and that was about the end of the conversation. He hasn't asked for any in his bathroom, so we shall see if he ever shows interest in using tooth soap.

But for me, I have added it to my travel kit. I use a contact lens cases with a enough soap to fit inside each side and close the lid. I expect this will last long enough for several trips, but have only used it a couple of times so far while traveling, so I don't really know how long it will last.

Follow up question: How do your teeth feel?

I'd like to switch to homemade tooth care and have been looking up paste/powder/whatever recipes and I just can't make the jump yet. I keep worrying about residues or sanitation (I used to use baking soda for a while but the sanitation issue of wetting my toothbrush and dipping it everyday concerned me and I stopped)

My teeth feel fine. Not really any different as yet.

Sanitation. My regular routine includes cleaning my toothbrush every day with Listerine after rinsing with water. So sanitation does not concern me. Baking soda was far too harsh on my gums; I just could not tolerate it.

Back