Soap for teeth

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have it, absolutely! I didn't. Tums contains calcium carbonate and we always have the minty ones in the house, so I used those instead of making another trip out.

Thank you. That's good to know. How much calcium carbonate would you add? 1 teasp. ppo? More?

Speaking only for myself, I'm pretty skeptical about the whole glycerin/tooth theory roaming about the net that says that it prevents re-mineralization, or that it supposedly takes 27 washes to remove glycerin (which is water soluble) from teeth.
IrishLass :)
Yes I am just as skeptical and can't tell any difference in the "glycerin-free" soap that I made. It was primarily an education exercise to determine how to do it and try it. In the end I did not know of any way to validate that the glycerin was in fact removed.

It's just the picture. On my screen, it looks black. In reality, they're a dark grey because of the charcoal I used.

My recipe:

10% Cocoa Butter
30% Olive Oil
30% Palm Kernel Oil
30% Peanut Oil

3% superfat
40% lye concentration

To this, I added some honey, a crushed Tums tablet, and activated charcoal.

Thank you for sharing this with me!

Sorry for the late response. I was on an extended roadtrip and missed your post until now.

Today I went out searching for peanut oil, and only one store in town sells it at $40.00 for the only size they carry. So I came home and looked up the fatty acid profiles of possible substitutions and found olive oil seems to be pretty close. Then it would be 60% OO, not a bad thing, but I thought I'd ask the purpose of the peanut oil specifically if you remember. Perhaps less slimy a soap? Or was it for a slight nuttiness? I wonder if I should use Almond Oil or Avocado Oil instead. I am now leaning toward Avocado as I have plenty and its easier to find where I live than Almond Oil.

I forgot to go to Walgreen's to get some AC, but I'll put that on my To Do List for tomorrow. According to the pharmacist at Walmart, last he knew Walgreen's is the only store in town that stocks AC. (I live in a small town.) If they don't have any, I'll order from Amazon. Other than that I should have everything I need.

Next thought: How small a batch to make. I'm thinking very small.

Wow! $40 for a bottle of peanut oil?? I added it for the lightness; any nuttiness is gone after the saponification process. I assume you could sub olive oil... or anything but coconut oil. I think peanut oil was one mentioned in a thread I'd read.

For the AC, I just bought a bottle of the caps and took them apart.

The batch I made was a small one.. about 8 oz, if I remember correctly. If I end up not liking it (no issue so far), I can give it to my granddaughter and her friends as a complexion bar. After all, the AC is great for acne-prone skin.

Peanut Oil is sold in the deep south in LARGE containers for frying turkeys.

Earlene-many restaurants use peanut oil to fry with. You may want to call around to see if someone will sell you a small amount if you bring your own bottle.

Peanut Oil is sold in the deep south in LARGE containers for frying turkeys.

I am assuming that's what this was for as well, since it was a huge container. I also see them at the other stores during the winter holiday season along with those capsule-looking outdoor b-b-q thingies some people use for that purpose. I've never eaten peanut-oil-fried turkey and likely never will.

Thanks for the suggestion about buying peanut oil from a restaurant. But I'm actually liking the idea of using avocado oil instead. Given I can get the AC at Walgreen's today, I'll be doing a small batch today.

Responding just before one goes to bed isn't the best thing to do (no wine was involved, just plain old sleepiness). I remember why I used the peanut oil. In the thread I'd been reading (sorry, I don't remember which thread), it was suggested that peanut oil could provide a slight sweetness. I'm not finding that to be the case. There was also a suggestion of adding xylitol for flavouring, if desired. I didn't because I didn't have any.

Peanut oil is sometimes labelled as groundnut oil, at least in the UK. It's good for frying because it burns at a higher temperature than other oils. No idea about its soapy properties though :)

You should be able to get refined peanut oil at walmart for under $4. Its what I use and really like it, especially for toothsoap as it makes a flavorless soap.

Maybe elsewhere, but not in my small town Walmart. Next time I am in a larger Walmart, I'll take a look for it.

ETA: I was not willing to pay $20 for a bottle of AC caplets at Walgreens, so I am ordering it from Amazon. I can get 2 pounds of food grade AC for $13.71. Don't even know if I'll ever use 2 pounds of it, but it's a way better price and I might like it in soap. This gives me a few extra days to take a little time and go to the cities to look for a small bottle of peanut oil. I do need more OO anyway, and have to to Sams Club for that anyway.

Last edited:
It's just the picture. On my screen, it looks black. In reality, they're a dark grey because of the charcoal I used.

My recipe:

10% Cocoa Butter
30% Olive Oil
30% Palm Kernel Oil
30% Peanut Oil

3% superfat
40% lye concentration

To this, I added some honey, a crushed Tums tablet, and activated charcoal.

Well, in my 4 oz batch of soap, I added 1 crushed Tums... whatever that works out to be. Not very scientific, is it?

There was also a suggestion of adding xylitol for flavouring, if desired. I didn't because I didn't have any.

You should be able to get refined peanut oil at walmart for under $4. Its what I use and really like it, especially for toothsoap as it makes a flavorless soap.

I will be making this today or tonight. The AC came yesterday and I got the peanut oil when I was in the cities a few days ago (larger sized Walmart had the small bottle for $3.68, so that alone was worth the trip.) So now I have everything.

I'll start with a 4 ounce batch because I have an accurate enough scale to do that safely and I don't want a pound of this soap when I haven't used it before.

I do have xylitol granules so I will use that instead of honey or I could use both. I bought a new bottle of local honey from a bee keeper recently and should give it a go in this tooth soap.

My plan is to dissolve xylitol granules in water and add that to the lye solution just like with sugar. I'm not sure if that is they right way to go or not. I am not sure how much xylitol to use, either. Other recipes I have seen call for quite a lot of it when making DIY toothpaste.

How much AC is another query in my mind. It looks like that could be variable as I did a bit of internet perusing.

Maybe I should just wing it? But keep good notes on how much I used and next time maybe adjust up or down as desired for the AC and xylitol.

I will be making this today or tonight. The AC came yesterday and I got the peanut oil when I was in the cities a few days ago (larger sized Walmart had the small bottle for $3.68, so that alone was worth the trip.) So now I have everything.

I'll start with a 4 ounce batch because I have an accurate enough scale to do that safely and I don't want a pound of this soap when I haven't used it before.

I do have xylitol granules so I will use that instead of honey or I could use both. I bought a new bottle of local honey from a bee keeper recently and should give it a go in this tooth soap.

My plan is to dissolve xylitol granules in water and add that to the lye solution just like with sugar. I'm not sure if that is they right way to go or not. I am not sure how much xylitol to use, either. Other recipes I have seen call for quite a lot of it when making DIY toothpaste.

How much AC is another query in my mind. It looks like that could be variable as I did a bit of internet perusing.

Maybe I should just wing it? But keep good notes on how much I used and next time maybe adjust up or down as desired for the AC and xylitol.

The first time I made tooth soap, I didn't put enough AC in it (and I used CO... blech... it's now used by my granddaughter as an acne soap). I winged it the second time, went by colour. I think for a 4 ounce batch, I used 2 or 3 caps. It's nice and dark this time.

Will you share your observations? And a picture, too, I hope?

Yes, I will be happy to do so.

The first time I made tooth soap, I didn't put enough AC in it (and I used CO... blech... it's now used by my granddaughter as an acne soap). I winged it the second time, went by colour. I think for a 4 ounce batch, I used 2 or 3 caps. It's nice and dark this time.

Thank you, Misschief, that helps! I made it last night after reading this. I used your recipe with the oils being exactly the same. I hand stirred only because it was such a small batch (4 ounces of oils total). I used 40% Lye Concentration and 3% SF as you did.

1.2 oz Olive Oil
1.2 oz Peanut Oil
1.2 oz PKO
0.4 oz Cocoa Butter

These were my additives:
0.8 grams of local honey,
1 tsp xylitol granules (I weighed it, but forgot to right down the gram weight)
1.6 grams AC (one teaspoon),
1 Tums tablet crushed, and
0.2 grams Turmeric.

I dissolved the xylitol in hot water, then added the crushed Tums tablet to that.
I mixed the honey directly into the melted oils.
I mixed the lye water into the oils at about 95°F & stirred with a whisk
I added the xylitol/Tums slurry to the batter continuing to stir with a whisk

I have made homemade toothpaste with Turmeric in the past, but it is so messy to clean up, I stopped using it. So I added a some to this soap.

Here is a collage of the making of this soap. I included the Activated Charcoal mess, because it is quite messy! The counter top cleaned up easily with spritzing with rubbing alcohol. I haven't cleaned the dishcloths yet, so not sure how they are going to look, but otherwise it cleans up pretty well. The AC I ordered came in that folded-over stand-up pouch, but I transferred as much as I could into the plastic spice jar in the photo. I believe it will be less messy next time I do this.

Tooth%20Soap%20-%20adapted%20from%20Misschief%20at%20SMF%20-%202016Sept20%20-%20Collage.jpg

The upper left is the color of the batter before the Turmeric, the next down is after the Turmeric (only 0.2 grams, a couple of shakes from my spice bottle). My index finger is in the photo for size reference, otherwise the molds could look big, but they are quite small. The unmolded soaps are shiny because I put them into the freezer for a few minutes to make them come out of the plastic containers more easily & they are sweating.

I don't think these gelled because they are so small. I did put them into a warm oven sitting in a warm water bath & covered with a towel. But the oven was already cooled down by the time I checked it before I went to bed, so I doubt they ever got warm enough to gel. They weren't as hard as I would have expected this morning if they had fully gelled. But maybe the additives contributed to the softness (not supersoft, just not hard.)

I am planning to let them cure at least 2 or 3 months before I start using one of them. Maybe I will test one sooner, though if it doesn't zap. I'll decide when the times comes.

ETA: 3 days later and they are hardening up quite nicely. That's a relief. As they dry, the color is becoming more grey-black and less pitch-black.

Last edited:
I'm on a mission to find groundnut oil (peanut oil) today because I REALLY want to make some tooth soap! My local supermarkets are not very good so I'm venturing further afield today. I tried brushing with some of my other soap, which did contain coconut oil. I can confirm, the reports are true, it does taste revolting! But, my teeth felt amazingly clean afterwards, I was really surprised.

So my tooth soap is about 10 weeks old and I decided to give it a try. Actually the first time I tried it, it was about 8 weeks old and I did not like the taste at all. I left it on the bathroom sink for a couple more weeks a tried it again. It's more palatable now. Why? Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, I wasn't going to start using it until I ran out of toothpaste, but decided to start using it at night before bed. I have my morning routine and will use up my toothpaste during my established morning routine before I go full time tooth soap. We'll see how that goes. It feels kind of weird to be even thinking about switching away from toothpaste.

So the foam (bubbles/lather) is slightly grey, but not black like I feared. I cannot taste the honey, the turmeric, nor the xylitol; it tastes like soap I guess, but not objectionably soapy.

At this point I am guessing one small (37 grams) bar will last quite a long time. I'm glad I made such a small batch.

I'm glad I made such a small batch.

Yup, it lasts forever! I'm only on the second bar of an 8 bar batch that I made earlier this year.

In the morning, I use my tooth soap with a touch of toothpaste (for the mintiness, which burns my mouth on its own) but at night, I use only the tooth soap and rinse twice. I don't mind the taste; it's not as soapy as I expected it would be at the beginning. Or maybe I'm just used to it now.

I use water for my retainers and when they taste weird use soap, per orthdontist's instructions. Cannot use toothpaste because it's too abrasive. The handmade liquid soap in a foaming dispenser is easy to use on the retainers, scrubbing gently with the retainer-reserved brush. I have used the soap on my teeth as well; it doesn't taste bad and my mouth seems fresher. Have not run this practice by the dentist. Might continue forward with the soap and buy a flouride-containing rinse. I think for travel, toothpaste will be more convenient than liquid or bar soap.

Back