Soap for tanners

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenmarie82

Reaction score
Has anyone tried making a MP soap for use after tanning? I was thinking about trying to add some tanning oil into some soap. It has a lot of good oils and a great smell. I want to try to make a soap that will help keep a tan longer and moisturize really well. Any ideas?

Since every tanning oil contains dif ingredients, I am not sure what tanning oil would add to soap. I do know cocoa butter would be a nice after tan additive.

the one i have contains all kinds of good oils....vitamin e, mineral, coconut oil, cocoa butter, banana fruit extract, vitamin A, vitamin C, carrot root, cocoa seed butter. i might try it and add a little extra coconut fragrance.

.....on another note, is it a good idea to add lotions to MP?

That is going to depend on what is in the lotion. I know quite a few people add calamine lotion for after camp bug bites...

Mineral oil is not a popular choice in the soaping community, here is some info.:

Material Safety Data Sheet for Mineral Oil

Toxicology – may be harmful by inhalation, ingestion and through skin absorption. Irritant.

The British Institute for Allergy & Environmental Therapy: Mineral Oil Petroleum Derivative on Beauty Products by Kit Anderson

Mineral oil (classed as a petrochemical pollutant and xenohormone) can have negative effects on hormones and the skin’s ability to breathe, attract moisture and detoxify. It can also slow down cell renewal and be the second (after the sun) most likely cause of premature ageing. In fact sun screens produced from mineral oil may promote skin cancer as well as colon and breast cancer. However, no cosmetic manufacturers put health warnings on their products and in the US, the FDA does not require this information to be on packaging.

Is Mineral Oil a Safe Lubricant?

Mineral oil does not make a good lubricant. Anything with oil in it, such as petroleum jelly, baby oil, bath oil, and hand lotion, massage oil, etc. are all rather unsafe because they block pores and do not allow the skin to breath [sic] and trap bacteria which can then multiply, which may lead to infections. Oils are also bad for condoms and toys since they deteriorate break down latex. Some women seem to be able to get away with using very pure oils, such as olive or almond oils if they are not using toys or latex, but many of us will end up with infections as a result.

Hemp is an exceptional choice for after tanning products (yeah I fake an bake ... yes I know I shouldn't). I have some kick butt lotion that has shea butter and hemp in it and I swear by it. Most of my fake and bake products have shea butter and hemp in them.

Tabitha said:
Mineral oil is not a popular choice in the soaping community, here is some info.:

Material Safety Data Sheet for Mineral Oil

Toxicology – may be harmful by inhalation, ingestion and through skin absorption. Irritant.

The British Institute for Allergy & Environmental Therapy: Mineral Oil Petroleum Derivative on Beauty Products by Kit Anderson

Mineral oil (classed as a petrochemical pollutant and xenohormone) can have negative effects on hormones and the skin’s ability to breathe, attract moisture and detoxify. It can also slow down cell renewal and be the second (after the sun) most likely cause of premature ageing. In fact sun screens produced from mineral oil may promote skin cancer as well as colon and breast cancer. However, no cosmetic manufacturers put health warnings on their products and in the US, the FDA does not require this information to be on packaging.

Is Mineral Oil a Safe Lubricant?

Mineral oil does not make a good lubricant. Anything with oil in it, such as petroleum jelly, baby oil, bath oil, and hand lotion, massage oil, etc. are all rather unsafe because they block pores and do not allow the skin to breath [sic] and trap bacteria which can then multiply, which may lead to infections. Oils are also bad for condoms and toys since they deteriorate break down latex. Some women seem to be able to get away with using very pure oils, such as olive or almond oils if they are not using toys or latex, but many of us will end up with infections as a result.

Ya know, baby oil is nothing but mineral oil and fragrance, and it's mainly used on babies. Is it me or is that horrible? What's it doing to their newborn skin?

Healinya said:
Ya know, baby oil is nothing but mineral oil and fragrance, and it's mainly used on babies. Is it me or is that horrible? What's it doing to their newborn skin?

It's terrible, I do you think anyone actually uses that on babies?

I remember adding iodine to baby oil and slathering it on when I went to the beach. Amazing I don't have skin cancer.

jenmarie82 said:
the one i have contains all kinds of good oils....vitamin e, mineral, coconut oil, cocoa butter, banana fruit extract, vitamin A, vitamin C, carrot root, cocoa seed butter. i might try it and add a little extra coconut fragrance.

.....on another note, is it a good idea to add lotions to MP?
I am not sure about adding lotion to MP but I found a book about making lotion soaps. I asked my husband to get it for me for X-mas but he got me another book instead. I am still searching for this book. :cry:

I make a great after-sun lotion; we use it for slight sunburns (it's soothing) but it could help make a tan last as well (we're sun-phobic 100SPF type Irish people around here LOL)

I add Banana Boat after sun aloe and vitamin E *lotion* to it, a little hemp oil, shea butter, and coconut hibiscus FO.

(this is MP soap)

Deda said:
Healinya said:

It's terrible, I do you think anyone actually uses that on babies?
of course people do. heck I use vaseline on my face. mineral oil is not evil.

Well, we can agree to disagree on that then. I've read the myths vs. facts. But I definately have my own opinion on it that I have never read online or in books. That enormous amount of byproduct man is creating has to go somewhere, but it's not going on my skin. jmho. :)

jenmarie82,

Most indoor tanners are taught from the beginning NOT to use mineral oil at all, they're not suppose to use any lotions with MO before, during or after tanning. Not even on the days they're not tanning, no mineral oil at all. The salons and lotion distributers/sellers enforce this because if you go in the tanning bed with a product containing MO, when the bed heats up, the acrylics that you're laying on expand (not noticable) and the MO can crack them, and puts a fog on them, something along those lines. The MO will ruin the expensive acrylics on the beds and the salon owners really can't tell who did it-unless they catch somebody coming in with a bottle with MO in it.

Plus, if they can't use anything with MO they'll buy more tanning lotions from the salons, which in turn helps them stay in business. (They make the money from the pricey lotions.) They also say that mineral oil will strip your tan, make you peel, ect. So the ones who tan mostly outdoors shun MO also.

I haven't tanned in over a year so I can't tell you what the latest ingredient trend is, last time I checked it was hemp, dimethicone and caffine.

Latest posts

Back